News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

66 TH400

Started by wbdeford, November 11, 2014, 05:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbdeford

Can someone tell me what the 1966 shop manual says about installing the "case to center support screw"?  I have a general TH400 manual which just says to install the screw after installing the locating screw.  But my transmission doesn't have a locating screw.  And the '71 manual references a special tool, J-23093, that must be used while tightening the screw, so I am wondering if this tool is required for '66 also.

This is the relevant page of the general TH400 manual: http://cogpro.com/chapters/P-TurboHydraMatic/images/P-THM4000042_jpg.jpg

Thanks,

Brian
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

SIPLOWGUY

Are you rebuilding the trans? It looks like they are referring to the front pump.
SIPLOWGUY

bcroe

Quote from: wbdeford on November 11, 2014, 05:35:26 PM
Can someone tell me what the 1966 shop manual says about installing the "case to center support screw"?  I have a general TH400 manual which just says to install the screw after installing the locating screw.  But my transmission doesn't have a locating screw.  And the '71 manual references a special tool, J-23093, that must be used while tightening the screw, so I am wondering if this tool is required for '66 also.

This is the relevant page of the general TH400 manual: http://cogpro.com/chapters/P-TurboHydraMatic/images/P-THM4000042_jpg.jpg   Thanks,    Brian       

They dropped that "locating screw" pretty fast, I've never seen one.  Note, the screw would just
tend to turn the center support in one direction.  Later manuals show using a pick in an adjacent
hole to do the same thing, while tightening the case to center support screw.  Bruce Roe

wbdeford

Yes, rebuilding....it is almost done, but haven't torqued down the valve body bolts in case I need to revisit that screw.  Thanks, Bruce!....will remove the valve body and see if a pick will work.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville