News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Distributor is moving after I tighten the wishbone down

Started by Mike Baillargeon #15848, November 09, 2014, 02:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Baillargeon #15848

I'm setting the timing on a 1960 390 and I tighten the nut that should hold the distributor in place.

I start the car and I can watch the distributor slowly turn in that counter-clockwise rotation of the rotor.

The distributor, I picked up as a just rebuilt from a 1959 Cadillac.   Its a little tighter than the old one but not enough to say its going to move the housing on its own.

Is there a trick to put more mechanical pressure on that wishbone to secure it in place, because I'm afraid of really cranking down on that hold-down nut for fear of breaking off that threaded stud?

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Dave Shepherd

The clamp must be deformed an does not hold or the hold down bolt is too long.

Dan LeBlanc

Remove the hold down clamp and bend the two "forks" that clamp the distributor down. That must have been over tightened some time in the past and caused distortion.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Thanks guys,

Should I just put the 2 fork ends in a vice and tap for a better bend?

I'm really starting to like that ball peen hammer of mine!

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc

The Tassie Devil(le)

You are running the round gasket under the distributor base?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Bruce, when I pulled the old distributor there wasn't a gasket under that flange.

There was just an O - ring further down the shaft that looks like it seals when the distributor goes into the block.

I also wondered if there should have also been a gasket there, but I think any more thickness there lets less of the gear going into the cam gear.

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Dan LeBlanc

In the couple of 62 390's I've done, I noticed the same o-ring and no gasket configuration.
Dan LeBlanc

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Thanks Guys,

I put the legs of the horseshoe into the vice, added a little heat, a little ball peen hammer and now it seems to be holding the distributor in place.

Also the vice knurled up the tips of the horseshoe ends which also added friction and probably helped.

Thanks again,

Mike

Mike
Baillargeon