News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1954-55 parts compatibilty

Started by Brad Hemingson CLC #18437, November 21, 2014, 09:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Hemingson CLC #18437

Are the front clips i.e. hood, fenders, rad support and inner fenders interchangeable for '54-'55?

Caddy Wizard

Generally speaking, no.  Hood, hood lip, etc. are different. Fenders are different (in part at least because of the "lip" where the molding mounts).  Fenders on a 54 are flat (as are the doors), while on the 55 (and 56) the fenders are stepped, with the bottom half of the front fenders lying outboard of the top half of the fenders.  Attached are a pair of photos.  The first shows the front door of a 54, which is flat (all one curved "plane") from top to bottom (the fender is shaped the same). The second shows the back of a front door of a 55, clearly showing the step formed in the doors.  This same feature extends to the front fenders on a 55.

I don't know about the inner fenders.  Maybe, maybe not.  And I am not sure about the radiator core support either.

Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Roger Zimmermann

The radiator cradle has another part number for 1955 (compared with '54) . As inner fenders are welded to the outer ones, you have your answer...There is a separate inner fender part which is the same for 1954 and '55.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101