News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

pull cable above ignition switch 41 60 special

Started by mr41cadillac, January 04, 2015, 03:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr41cadillac

how does this cable fasten to shaft of carburetor ? DOES THE CABLE CLAMP SOMEWHERE /? IS THIS A MANUAL CHOKE THANKS JOHN

joeceretti

I believe it is a throttle cable.... I am 100% positive no manual choke should be on your car, when original.

I had to go through quite an ordeal to get my manual throttle mechanism working. Still don't have the correct cable but it all works as it should.

Steve Passmore

Joe is right, Its not a choke but a fast idle cable and attaches to a lever on the opposite side of the carb to the throttle linkage, thats if you have the original carb, many were swapped out for later carbs that never had this feature or the levers fell off.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

mr41cadillac

its there with the lever but i cant get it it move shaft, does the cable clamp down somewhere thanks john

joeceretti

Do you know which carb you have on the car now? If it's like the 38, the manual throttle is on the other side, as Steve said, and is directly connected to the same axle as the pedal throttle which also has the throttle plates.

Pictures of your carb will help us help you a whole bunch.

mr41cadillac

i know that. im trying to see if the cable clamps down somewhere, as the clamp on the shaft wont turn the throttle shaft

joeceretti

The throttle shaft should be directly connected... one solid shaft. I can't picture it.. as if one side won't turn the other side surely will not. I can't reconcile it... pictures :) please.

Bill Ingler #7799

John: The cable is not clamped and goes up from where it is attached to the front of the dash and comes out on the engine side of the firewall as shown in the picture below. Then down and under the crossover exhaust and connected to the carb. If the pull wire inside the cable is not moving, then take out the cable and hang it up so that when you squirt some 10-40 on the inside wire and loosen the rust, the 10-40 will eventually come out the other end. I had the same thing happen when I got my 41.   Bill

Bill Ingler #7799

John: I might have read your problem wrong. Take a look at picture below at 3 and 4 arrow. The pull wire in the manual throttle cable is attached to an arm which is clamped to the end of the throttle shaft by a small set screw. If the pull wire in the throttle cable moves and the set screw is tight holding the arm on the throttle shaft, then the throttle shaft should move giving an increase in engine RPMs.   Bill

Bill Ingler #7799

Wrong picture above      I hope this is the correct picture below

mr41cadillac

thanks.  i think i had my clamp positioned the wrong way or  down where i see yours is up. also i have a screw and bolt instead of a set screw so i dont thing the arm is holding , its just turning aroun the shaft. but the cable  works, its to late tonight but tomorrow i will fix, it but i think the issue is the slipping, thanks john

Bill Ingler #7799

John; The more I look at the screw holding the arm on the shaft it looks like a screw going through the clamp and a nut on the bottom side. Somebody with a 41, please post as to if there is a nut on the bottom or just a set screw holding the clamp tight on the throttle shaft. Thanks  Bill

Steve Passmore

On all of mine is a screw with a square type nut on the bottom that prevents it from turning so one can tighten it using one hand.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

mr41cadillac

yes mine has a screw with what lookes like a square wood screw that fits in a groove that prevents it from turning. maybe i just didnt tighten enough. will look at it this pm. thanks

mr41cadillac

thanks all i fixed it. the pictures you sent showed me mine was upside down lever backwards and nut on wrong side, no way  it could make shaft go the correct way. now it works, thanks john