News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

59-60 Authenticity Manual ?

Started by JoeKarasinski, January 10, 2015, 11:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeKarasinski

Is there an  Authenticity Manual  for 60? I was just looking in the "store" and I'm not seeing it. My wife and I have decided to restore our 60 4dr 4 window 62 series and I'm thinking something like this would make sense to get if its available.

For the most part the restore looks pretty common sense but it looks like all the hardware and hinges under the hood are supposed to be plated silver or goldish color and I have no way of knowing. I don't know if I have any detailed pictures of the one my dad had.

quadfins

At the GN in St Augustine, I spoke to one of the committee members, who told me that it was being worked on. I don't know if any progress has been made, or who the members are, to contact.

For the time being, you might use the manuals for the prior and following years, at least for some minimal guidance.

61 hinges & underhood hardware are zinc dichromate (gold-colored cadmium) plate.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

JoeKarasinski

OK, thanks for the reply. I was looking through the restoration corner last night and found a post that mentioned the same. And I found Jeff Wilk's thread with some great detail pics of his beautiful 59 and several others with more great info.

quadfins

Jeff has done an excellent job on the engine compartment of his '59. His attention to detail is praiseworthy, and his car is beautiful, even though it is unfinished. Between his pics and the class 19 manual, you should have adequate guidance for your '60.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Alex60caddy

Thanks for asking this question I have been wondering the same thing. I have a 1960 Cadillac series 62 convertible. Were you able to find out any other info on the authentication manual for the 60 Cadillac?
Alex Gay. CLC#28881

76eldo

With the popularity of the 59 and 60 models it was also surprising to me that there is no authenticity manual for these cars.

There are a number of members here that can answer specific questions for you so hopefully you can get the correct info.

Best of luck

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jon S

Very good points.  A car is "original" only once, and documentation is so important.  My all original 1981 Corvette was photographed and many pictures/write-ups of it are included in Richard Prince's Corvette 1968-1982 Restoration Guide, 2nd Edition for others to follow. 

The format and narrative style Mr. Prince used would be a good template for our Cadillac Authentation Manuals to follow.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

76eldo

Generally, the technical authenticity manuals are compiled from original cars and it's a painstaking process.

There are some excellent examples of original cars that are known and could be really useful in assembling the information.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Joe,

Pending publication of the 59/60 authenticity manual, by all means post any restoration questions here as they arise.

As C R Patton is fond of saying, "We exist to assist."  :)

Eric
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Dan LeBlanc

Eric has quite the reference piece sitting in his garage also that would answer most any question you have.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jeff Wilk

Joe, Jim, thanks so much for the compliments on our '59 Fleetwood.  My Son Noah and I spent about 4 years bringing it back to life after sitting idle in my garage for over 20 years untouched. :(

CDV Chumley, I can certainly appreciate your comments on how many restorations are done.  Rest assured that we took many photos of everything prior to disassembly and restoration.  The beauty of digital is that they are "free".  We stopped counting at over 1200 photos.  We also made sure we restored back to original specs.  Right down to purchasing our own plating system so we could zinc and "Cad" plate every single nut and bolt back to original.  Where we had questions about originality, we had the great fortune of some super members in the Raritan River Region of the CLC, with a special "hats off" to Joe Puleo who has the most amazing '59 collection including originals from which to base the answers to our questions on. And of course, so many other members from this forum including Dan, Eric, Quentin, Jeremy, Tony, Grant, Jon, and the list goes on of those who answered questions, sent pictures, or helped source original parts. ;)

As to the comment that we have not "finished" the car......well I pose this question......."When are we ever really done?" :-\

But seriously, my Son and I decided early on to keep the car original, and restore the parts/systems to make it safe and reliable.  We also wanted under the hood to look pristine.  We cleaned up the interior and dyed the leather/vinyl where needed, had an authentic and correct headliner made up (as opposed to the wrong ones everyone sells for the Sixty-Specials), had the paint wet sanded and the roof repainted, polished each and every piece of the grill which still had the anodizing on it, and put on correct bias ply tires.  So for us, it is now "done", even with the original undercarriage which is pristine (this was a Las Vegas car prior to my purchasing it from an Estate in NJ from James Ragsdale in 1981 (see attached picture - and yup that's me with the long hair and high heal platform boots!!!!! - - -wish I had the hair still......glad the boots are gone!) 8)

My pride and joy are my children......and the cars are just a hobby......as far as our '59 goes.....even though it was disqualified at the Grand National.........my signature line says it all..........and here is a great faux studio compilation and the best shot ever .......Noah and I at the GN this past summer. :) :) :) :) :)

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

JoeKarasinski

Jeff, Is this the plating kit you got? http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/zinc-plating-kits.html , I noticed you said you did it yourself. Is it hard to do? Is it something I can set up and leave up for weeks or months and do the bolts as I get them apart and cleaned up?

We have a plating company down the street from my shop that I think my dad used for his cars but I'm all about as least expensive as I can get while stilling doing every thing right on this car. We're hoping to do this whole project in less than year so we can drive it to Vegas for the GN.

Jeff Wilk

Joe that is the exact kit.  You will also need the power supply rectifier.  I got the 3amp model, but would recommend the 5 amp instead.  You can set this up once and leave it set up for a looooooong time.  Mine was set up for over a year for exactly the scenario you stated below.  Here are a couple of pictures........

"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

JoeKarasinski

Excellent! Thanks! I'll order it up soon.

David King (kz78hy)

Hey Joe,

Let me  know when you are setup.  I was thinking about this as well and when you are done, I could buy it from you, or go in now.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

JoeKarasinski

Ok Dave, Thanks I'll let you know when I get it up and running.