News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

wires 41 60 special

Started by mr41cadillac, February 03, 2015, 02:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr41cadillac

anyone know how the wire runs to the door switches on 41 60 special ? i can see i have some bare spots on the original wires. i dont want to remove the original headliner , whick is still in good shape. thanks john m

Steve Passmore

As far as I'm aware permanent power runs to the light unit. Its earth is back to the switch and door switches so whichever is operated the circuit is completed to the light.   As these wires to the light are clipped in place I'm sad to say you cannot thread a new wire through the headlining,  Been there, done that.   The wire passes up the screen pillar and across the roof. I had to remove part of my headlining, to replace the wire.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Paul Phillips

John
It depends on which doors you are trying to sort. The front switches are accessible via the kick panels, but you can't replace the wire run to the dome light w/o getting behind the headliner. The rears control the lights in the seat base, so they run up the B pillar then back down again behind the rear door. Seriously behind the headlining. Unless someone has been in there before, the harness will be clipped in place at multiple places, so not really feasible to cut loose and use existing wiring to pull a replacement into place. There are also additional wires that run in the same harness part way for rear lights, trunk lights, fuel sensor, etc. The whole thing is probably brittle, and moving one prt may cause insulation to fall off in a new place somewhere else.

The good news is the majority of this body harness runs on the drivers side. The following  is speculative, as when I went in there on my car, I took it all the way apart, but it may be feasible to remove the tacks for the wire-on and windlace on that side, then remove the tacks for the headliner to get access to the body harness.  If you only take that side loose, you should be able to carefully re-tack & reinstall the headliner, windlace and wire-on after repairing the harness. This will be tedious, there are probably 100+ tacks to carefully R&R.

Suggest you explore carefully and see what you can get to. Be sure to have the wiring diagram from the manual, as it is pretty good as well to indicate where wires are spliced (look for the dots).

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

Steve Passmore

Quote from: Paul Phillips on February 10, 2015, 09:35:57 PM
John

but it may be feasible to remove the tacks for the wire-on and windlace on that side, then remove the tacks for the headliner to get access to the body harness.  If you only take that side loose, you should be able to carefully re-tack & reinstall the headliner, windlace and wire-on after repairing the harness. This will be tedious, there are probably 100+ tacks to carefully R&R.

Paul

What Paul said is all true except I have never had a headlining that would survive this. the mere act of getting these tacks out of decades old headlining and getting your arm up in there to find the wires usually means the end of the cloth.
My headlining was only about 20 years old and the previous restores had not bothered to connect the wires to the dome light. I have been fitting headliners for 30 years and I could not save the cloth after removing 100s of tacks and stretching the cloth beyond re-use to try and get my arm in there plus there is never enough cloth to handle as all surplus is cut right back to the tacks the first time.  It looked really bad after I refitted it and I had to replace the whole thing.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe