News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

70s New vinyl Roof Cost?

Started by Coupe Deville, February 09, 2015, 01:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone. I am currently thinking about buying another 1972 CDV. The car I am looking at has been sitting for a while and the vinyl top is original but in very bad shape. Does anyone know roughly how much a identical to original vinyl roof would cost? I'm not sure who could even do the job? Anyone ever had one of there roofs replaced that could share their experience with this job?

Thanks

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Alan Harris CLC#1513

There is probably a ton of rust under that vinyl roof. The covering itself would be the least expensive part.

James Landi

I had an estimate to replace mine for $1,800. (83 Eldorado Roadster)  My wife and I took on the project... yes, surprise, rust holes... a lot of work, but ultimately we prevailed, and our job looks good, but it's a bear to do right.  Ours was a full roof covering that radically changes the roof profile with a fiberglass "shell" glued on to the factory metal top-- some members have ripped off the vinyl, and restored the metal roof without the vinyl-- a much simpler process--- however, there may be issues with window trim brightwork-- hope you get others to offer opinions on this.

TMoore - NTCLC

About 10-15 years ago, I had three tops replaced - two 1979 Seville full padded vinyl tops, and a 1980 Eldorado half vinyl padded top - each cost 250.00 at that time.  Fortunately, the cars had no rust issues to address, but they were all "garaged" cars, so didn't get a lot of weather exposure.  All of the tops are still in good shape, but I have another Seville that will need a top in the near future.  The upholstery guy that I used previously has gone out of business, so I will be shopping around for this one - I kind of doubt I will find a shop that will do it for the same price.