News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Running board rubber

Started by MitchHodge, February 25, 2015, 07:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MitchHodge

Other than the company in Canada, is there anyone trustworthy and good who can do running boards? The Canadian group has a 1-2 year waiting list? There has to be someone else doing this? Anyone had any luck with anyone else? Need to do the running boards on my 1940 LaSalle

Thank you

KD

I got my running board rubber from a fellow in Florida for my 1940 Cadillac and installed them myself.
The hard part was removing the old rubber.
I used a heat gun to soften the rubber and used a stiff wide blade chisel and a wire wheel on a drill.
Just remember to prepare the running board before you install the rubber.
I used bondo to fill in the indentions in the running boards and used contact cement to glue the rubber on. Dry fit your new rubber before gluing it in place.
Start on the outside first with the contact cement only up to where it curves on the running board About 2" and the same on the new rubber.
Use a straight edge like a 1x2 piece of wood and clamp in down in place after you have aligned your rubber., then when it is clamped on place , check it again for proper fit, then apply the contact cement to the rubber and running board and press in place.
KD CLC#26801
Ken Dennison

1935 Auburn S/C Cabroilet
1940 Cadillac V16 7 passenger Imperial Sedan (9033)
1929 Ford Closed Cab Pick Up
1960 Austin Healey Sprite

gary griffin

You can buy generic running board rubber on eBay by the foot. No logos or special patterns, just ribbed rubber.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

MitchHodge

The rubber you purchased in Florida, did it match the Cadillac? Do you remember the name of the person?

Thanks

35-709

Cadillac running board material ---

Gerald Capak     CLC member, listed in the 2015 Membership Directory
Vero Beach, FL
772-257-0549 Home
772-538-8073 Cell

He used to advertise in the Self-Starter but I don't see his ad in this February's edition.  He may not be selling the running board rubber anymore, worth a call to see. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

The rubber from the guy in FL was for 38-40 75 and 90 series cars.  It is different from other models and for these cars it is not molded to any compound curves.  It is a flat piece and the ends have chrome on them.  Don't know if he is still selling it or not.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Tom Boehm

Hello Mitch, There are actually two companies in Canada doing running boards. One is Kris Arneson at www.runningboardrubber.com. The other is Pat Rowden and Sherban at www.runningboardrubbermats.com. Have you contacted both of them? I had Pat Rowden do mine and I was pleased with the results. My car is a 1940 Lasalle woodie built on a commercial chassis. The commercial chassis had a different rib pattern than the normal 50 series Lasalles. The CC shared the same rib pattern with the 72,75, and 90 series in 1940. I considered going with the glue on mat from Gerald Capak in Florida but I'm glad I went with the process in Canada. It is more durable and exactly like what came from the factory. The glue on mat was a lot less expensive. The bottom line though is that I am not aware of anyone making glue on mat in the correct rib pattern for regular 1940 Lasalle 50 or 52 series. Tom Boehm

Tom Boehm

Hello Mitch, Also, Pat Rowden in Canada was able to install new smooth rubber on the triangular piece between the front end of the runningboard and the fender. I did not know what I was going to do with that piece if I went with the glue on mat. Tom

MitchHodge