News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

fuel pump leaking same place on two cars

Started by Seth Rose, March 06, 2015, 04:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth Rose

I have a 69 Sedan Deville and a 72 Fleetwood 472 engine in my 67 Hearse. Both are leaking at the fitting on the fuel pump. the threads seem good, and I've got them pretty snug. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

cadillactim

Try using Teflon tape on the male threads. Also make sure the line is going in straight into the fuel pump fitting.

Tim
Tim Groves

joeceretti

Here is a very informative article on what to use to seal fuel lines and why...

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=563

I use what the airplane guys use. Leaky fuel lines for them are much worse than they are for us.

Glen

Teflon tape should not be used on flare fitting which is what is normally used on fuel lines.  The threads on a flare fittings are not the sealing point, the flare is. 

Check t be sure your flares are not cracked.  The crack could be in the flare itself or in the tubing directly behind the flare.  If either of these are present you must cut the tubing back and re-flare it or replace the whole piece. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

gouldsom

Try some soap, yes soap. Rub a block across the thread, before you screw it in.
Works a treat, well it did on my worn tri power fittings.

76eldo

Th Teflon is more of a lubricant like the soap in this instance but also has some sealing properties for the threads.  If all of the fitting are in good shape and can be drawn tight enough you should not need anything. I don't think the factory used anything.

Use a proper line wrench and just make the fittings a little tighter than they are now. Even a quarter turn can make a difference. I like the soap idea, could a drop of oil or two do the same thing?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

I have seen it more than once recently where its the whole fitting on the pump itself that seems to have the leak.  I'm not sure how that fitting is installed but it seems like they are not as good as they used to be so you really have to be sure you don't put any stress on them when you attach the line.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

This has happened to me on my 1970 after a fuel filter change.  The compression fitting makes the seal, so no tape on threads is going to fix it.

There is a rubber donut seal that with a cross section of an "L".  If you have it upside down it will leak as if it is coming from bad thread seal.  Turn it right side up and you should be good.  If it is missing then that is it.  Goes on bottom of fuel filter.  This may not have been present on original fuel pumps, but it is on newer replacements.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

chrisntam

My understanding of different kinds of automotive fluid connections is that there are 3 main types (that I know of):

1) Flare - used on brake, fuel and transmission lines.
2) Pipe thread - used on fittings that carry liquids (fittings screwed into the block/water pump that a hose would connect to) like water temp senders and oil pressure sending units.
3) compression fittings - Those are used to connect lines like mechanical oil pressure lines.  A ferrule is compressed around the line and within the fitting when it is tightened.

For the flare fittings, the seal is made at the flare (as said previously).
For the pipe thread, the seal is made at the threads.
For compression fittings, the seal is made at the ferrule

Some use a combination of fittings, for the turbo 400 fluid lines, a pipe thread fitting is screwed into the transmission, then the line itself uses a flare fitting.  Could be the same on a fuel pump.

Others can chime is to further clarify or correct as needed.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Seth,
You have gotten a lot of valid suggestions, but I would like to ask exactly where is the fitting leaking.  Is it on the fitting that holds the fuel filter into the pump, or is it on the fuel line that installs into the fuel pump retaining fitting?
Both of those are difficult to reach and they often get cross threaded.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-