News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1954 Cadillac hydrovac trouble

Started by Randall koerner, March 11, 2015, 11:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randall koerner

hello fellas this is my first post
I have a 1954 Cadillac that has the hydrovac brake booster
when I tried to bleed the brake system I am constantly getting air out of the hydraulic side of the vacuum booster can anyone tell me what is going on

timer2

Randall- It sounds like your vacume boost unit needs to be rebuilt. Mine did the same thing. Pull the vacume line to the intake off and see if any brake fluid runs out the hose- there should be no fluid at all. I bought a kit from Cadillac Parts Ltd. and rebuilt mine and it works perfectly. They're a little complicated but doable OR there are rebuilt boosters occasionally on E-Bay and elsewhere. There are diaphragms and small piston and cup units inside and a check valve at the bottom(to keep the fluid from being sucked into the engine) and any one of those can and will create your problem.   T. Irvin