News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Anyone know an 'old GM car transmission repair person" in the Charlotte NC area?

Started by Bill Caddyshack, March 13, 2015, 08:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Caddyshack

A good friend has a 1955 Buick with a badly leaking transmission. Needs someone to repair it. All suggestions appreciated!

Bobby B

Bill,
  Hi. There's only a few places that the trans could be leaking from, and of course they might involve removal ( if the front pump seal is ONE of the culprits) and re-sealing. The usual spots are the pan gaskets, driveshaft/rear seal, front pump seal, and shifter quadrant shaft seal. If I'm not mistaken, those year Buicks had Dynaflow Transmissions. Any decent shop that has an "old-timer" working there should have a good idea of what's going on. If the problems involve more than that, you'll need to find someone a little more experienced in that trans, and that has the proper specialty tools for that specific unit. I learned how to work on older transmissions out of necessity, for the same reasons stated above. Most shops just don't want to be bothered, or you're going to pay a premium for their learning curve. Years ago I was quoted an astronomical amount for "going over" my Hydra-matic. I wound up doing it myself because I felt I was being ripped off. Did a lot of reading, purchased the needed tools as they popped up on eBay, jumped in head first, and got the job done. Fortunately for me, I live very close to a well known classic trans parts supplier that has just about everything on the shelf. They are the nicest people and are willing to answer any questions and offer advice, plus they really know their stuff when it comes to these vintage units. In the process of tackling the second re-build now on my spare. So glad I did. Great learning experience. Good luck and ask around your area till you find someone willing to help you out. Ask questions about their experience on your unit. Not all Transmissions are the same. Hope this Helps!
                                                                      Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

savemy67

Hello J. March,

I do not have a URL, but if you "google" mudbone + dynaflow, you should get to a Youtube channel showing a fellow in Ohio who rebuilt his '55 Buick Dynaflow.  From his two dozen or so videos, it looks like he did an excellent job.  You might try contacting him to see if he knows of any rebuilders near Charlotte.

Also, go to the website transmissionbench.com.  This fellow owned his own transmission shop near Atlanta (if I recall correctly).  The reason I am suggesting you contact him is because of the transmission rebuild videos he has on Youtube.  For my money, he has the best instructional rebuid videos on the net.  He may know some old-timers familiar with Dynaflows who could be near Charlotte.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

kav

Luckily you're in NC and not Glendale California and you wouldn't think of sending your gearbox that far . Otherwise I would have to PM you and advise against it .
1953 series 62
nicknamed  SERENA

Bill Caddyshack

Thanks for the responses. My friend may not personally have the expertise to rebuild his trans. This is why he is looking for an "old timer" to help. I have two people in Atlanta who could do this, but that doesn't help him in Charlotte. I am sure it would not be a big deal for the right person to pull it an seal it.

I just had my 1959 Transmission done in Atlanta.

He is very frustrated. Still looking for someone in Charlotte.

Jeff Wilk

Just a thought but go to the membership directory and look up Jason Edge wo runs the 63/64 Chapter in Charlotte. Great guy and Id bet he has some names. Good luck! 

Oh, also try calling Jenkins Restorations just outside of Charlotte

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

kav

One thing that I have learned from owning a 1935 single cyl flathead side valve , and a 53 ohv v8 and everything attached , is that you can  not rely on most modern day mechanics to be able to repair things to the way they are supposed to be . This is not to say modern day mechs are no good at all  but to say that you need to be an enthusiast of these older engines and to be able to convey to them what needs to be done and have the specs on hand . I have 6 mates who are mechanics and all own their own shops . But there are different people that I may use for different problems . Find some one old school or some one who will listen if you can give them the specs.
1953 series 62
nicknamed  SERENA

Bill Caddyshack

Quote from: Jeff Wilk on March 14, 2015, 08:03:50 AM
Just a thought but go to the membership directory and look up Jason Edge wo runs the 63/64 Chapter in Charlotte. Great guy and Id bet he has some names. Good luck! 

Oh, also try calling Jenkins Restorations just outside of Charlotte

Jeff

Great idea, Jeff!

willits

Bill,
I bought a rebuilt jetway for my '61  from a shop in Mills River NC, not Charlotte but I think closer than Atlanta.  I've only ran it a few hundred miles but so far it works great.   John was helpful sorting out a few issues when installing it in the car. The contact info is:

John Bland
Genuine Transmission & Automotive
80 Emma Sharp Rd. Ste 4
Mills River, NC 28759
mbland.genuinetransemail addresses not permitted
(P) 828-891-2570
(F) 828-891-2592

Peter
Peter Willits
1958 Coupe DeVille http://bit.ly/1O6BGVu
1961 62 Convertible http://bit.ly/1O6BHst
2008 STS-V http://bit.ly/1O6CI3P