News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Carb ID - ´88 Brghm

Started by Kell Oskarsson, March 22, 2015, 04:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kell Oskarsson

All,

I´m helping out a friend who has a 1988 Brougham. The car has the Olds 307 engine with a Quadrajet carb. He´s wondering whether the carb is correct for this engine. The serial number is as follows:

2407 JXW

From a web search, it appears that the "88" indicates 1988 and hence the correct model year. I have however not been able to decode the rest of the numbers.

Anyone know how to decipher this?

Best regards,

Kell.
Kell Oskarsson

1968 Sedan de Ville
1979 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Sedan

Bobby B

Kell,
Hi. Are you sure this is a Quadrajet and not a 2-Barrel Carb? Should be a 2 instead of a 1 if it were a Quadrajet.
Decoded: 1988 Rochester 2-barrel from a Manual Transmission Chevrolet. Built on the 240th day of 1987. Broadcast code JXW. Hope this helps.
                                                                                                                              Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Kell Oskarsson

Hi Bobby,

as far is I can tell it´s a a 4-barrel (see attached). That´s why the numbers make no sense to me...
Kell Oskarsson

1968 Sedan de Ville

Bobby B

Kell,
  Hi…I have quite a few Rochester manuals and literature . I used to be heavily into Pontiacs and sometimes the numbers just don't make sense. I've seen original Ram Air Cars with the "incorrect carb" although it was never changed. There were also service/replacement carbs that are designated by an "XX" in the serial number. I have a few here off early GTO/Firebirds that have NO I.D. number at all. I have seen the last digit denoting a manual trans, when in fact it was in an automatic car and was never changed. A few manuals I have state that the number "1" or "2" would  sometimes designate Federal Emissions, while a number "4" or "5" would designate California Emissions. That's about the only explanation I have for this at this point. Has to be a mistake when it was originally stamped.
                                                                                   Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Kell Oskarsson

Bobby, many thanks for the info.

It looks like it´s the original carb, doesn´t look like it´s been tampered with at all. Maybe the numbering system got a bit illogical towards the end of the Q-Jet´s production run.
Kell Oskarsson

1968 Sedan de Ville

Bobby B

Kell,
It actually did. There are a lot of discrepancies when it comes to the later Rochester years. Appears to be the original carb from the numbering, even though it doesn't make 100% sense.
                                                Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Kell,
That of course is a Quadrajet, and according to the numbers is a 1988 "Federal" standards chevrolet carburetor.  Mfg. date is the 240th day of 1987. 
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Walter Youshock

As I recall, Craig Wexelblatt was looking for an nos carb for his '88 brougham and found one in the box on a dealer shelf in the midwest.  It was the same carb used on Chevy and Olds.  Since it was the carb used on police cars, taxis and a huge number of regular cars, replacement carbs were gobbled up quickly.

Try to contact Daytona Carburetors in Florida.   If anyone would know, they would.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Kell Oskarsson

Hmmm...Chevy carb, Olds engine, Cadillac car. Yep, sounds like G.M. in the eighties :)  Thanks for your help all, it sounds like it´s the original carb, but good to know this if my friend ever needs any parts.
Kell Oskarsson

1968 Sedan de Ville

TJ Hopland

88 wasn't just about everything else EFI?   Light trucks got EFI in 87.  I think it was just some of the medium duties that had carbs in 88 and those I think were Holley's.   Or did some of the Caprice's still get carbs for another year or so?  Was it the 4.3 V6 that was EFI early?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason