News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'41 Series 63 Jack and tools location

Started by rustytractor, March 27, 2015, 05:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustytractor

I asked this in a thread a while back but there were no replies so I thought I'd ask again.

The jack and tools are missing from my car - where would they usually be stowed ? I assume they should go in the boot but how would they be stowed ?
Too many cars - too little time !!

Steve Passmore

Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Hi, You should have a wheel jack, jack stand, (to fit under the A frame) and a tool set consisting of screwdrivers, monkey wrench, and whatever. Bruce Berghoff has these tools available for sale. The jack and stand are going to run you from $250-500 IF you can find a set. As I remember, they "go" in the trunk/boot anywhere that's convenient. Usually behind the spare tire on the little shelf on the far side of the tire well. Candidly, most of us '41 owners just find a bumper jack of some kind or a bottle jack as the original ones can be hazardous to your health.

I can remember trying to jack up my limo and late for work watching the car slide forward, and then backward trying to keep it straight on the wheel so it wouldn't move. Oh yeah, you should also have one of those black painted 4"x 4" triangle wedges that went with every Cadillac from 1941? to 1953 or so. That would have been a nice sub-contract to have, supplying GM with those wedges. Good luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

denniscaddy

Barry and Steve,

Barry is aware that I recently bought Bud Wirthman's lovely '41 60S.  We have had winter here, so I just drove it for the first time yesterday.

One of the many delights of the car is that it has an original tool kit (never unrolled until I opened it), jack, and jackstand, in perfect original condition and never used.  I just love parts like that!

Of course I would never try to use the rim jack for fear for my life, and Bud had a nice quality bottle jack in the trunk in case reality struck.

This car also has near-perfect trunk linings, both the sides and the carpet...just amazing.

Original rim jacks and stands occasionally show up on eBay.  I think I have an extra stand if you can't find one.

Good luck!

Dennis Akerman, CLC 3676
CLC 3676
1941 Fleetwood 60S
2017 CT6

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Dennis, if you could make close tracings of at least the outside of the side trunk lining, Terry Wenger would be thrilled, as he is going to have to upholster his trunk due to the semi-custom items he has put on the car. Of course, knowing Terry, he probably has the job done by now as it was a week or two ago that he asked me. Give him a call if you have time and see what would help him. Best regards, Barry
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville