News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1961 Cadillac New Daily Driver With A Question..

Started by Coupe Deville, April 05, 2015, 11:57:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone.

Just last week this car became my new daily driver. It has the original 390 and original transmission. Its a non A/C car. Does have lots of surface rust but no rust underneath, the rockers and floorpans are solid. I have a question. The car does have six way power seats, but they do not work at the moment. When you move the switch in any direction you can hear the motor spinning, but the seat does not move at all in any direction. I did briefly get it to move straight up but it really struggled and now it wont ever do that anymore. I think I'm going to pull out the front seat today and clean and re grease everything and the drive cables. But is there anything El's I should look for? Thanks for all the the very helpfull advice from everyone on this form over the years. You people are the best!

Thanks

-Gavin 
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Most likely the grease inside the power seat transmission has dried up. The transmission may sometimes be removed without taking the seat out - depending on the present position of the seat.

Once the transmission is out of the car, disassemble and scrape away all the old grease which turns to crust and a good re-greasing will usually take care of the problem.

Mike Cascio here may chime in with more detailed information. It's a very common problem with power seats of this age.

Congratulations on your acquisition. 61/62 Cadillacs are in a class by themselves. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

bill06447

Nice car. This car didn't come out of Bethany, CT by chance, did it? If not it's twin is still there

Bill

Dan LeBlanc

Gavin.

Eric is very correct here.

If the motor is spinning, that's a good sign

Remove the seat transmission and thoroughly clean up all traces of the old grease in there.  Mike did my 61 and when we opened it up, the grease was like cement.  The solenoid activated gears were not sliding.  A good clean, re-lube and it's still working great two years later.  Heck, it'll even move with my butt planted in the seat.

While we were at it, also greased the tracks.  The cables are usually fine.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car