News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1931 Original Paint Colors

Started by Art Cutler, February 10, 2015, 09:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Cutler

I'm looking for a listing of original paint colors for a 1931 370A Cadillac.  Auto Color Library goes back to 1932 and paintref.com goes back to 1935 so no luck there.  Any information on colors, color combinations, what colors went where, and Ditz-Lac numbers (IM) would be appreciated.  The original car color was black with Tokio Ivory stripe - trying to go with something other than black.

Thanks,

Art
Series62, CLC #15689

Wayne Womble 12210

Mine was Jefferson blue on the moldings, door panels, hood etc. Black across the top and the rear quarters, black fenders and chassis.  Avigdon blue stripes. 

Jefferson blue was dark Midnight blue. Avigdon blue was light sky blue.

Tom Hall 7485

There were a number of new colors introduced for the spring of '31. 

Please send me a personal message.
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

Art Cutler

Tom,

I was never able to get an official Cadillac listing of the color codes.  I can get a listing for '32 on-line but nothing for '31.  I did get a listing from AutoColorLibrary for '31 Cadillac spring colors (says book 11).  I ordered Boatswain Blue paint based on the on-line color strips (IM688 if I recall right).  I hope they are somewhat accurate.

Can you confirm if that is a correct original color?  Any other information on original '31 colors?

Thanks,

Art
Series62, CLC #15689

31caddy

Art, There is some limited paint color info on gmheritagecenter.com. Do the following:

1) At the top of the home page click "archive"
2)Scroll down until you see the "vehicle information kits" section.
3) Click the blue vehicle information kit bar.
4)Click "show" beside the word Cadillac
5) Click "1931 Cadillac V12" on the white menu page.
6) open the PDF file
A wealth of info will be in the PDF including an owner's manual, service info, specs, pricing, upholstery, etc. Unfortunately page 101 near the very end is missing and of course that was the page with color info for the V12 cars. I believe the only thing there relating to colors is a few paragraphs at the top of page 102.
The better news is that if you follow the same procedure above, except click on "1931 Cadillac V8" on the white menu page and open THAT PDF, near the end of the file you WILL get a listing of color schemes, scheme numbers and what panels were painted what color. I have no idea if 370 colors were offered on/the same as 355's. Sadly, no actual color picture/chips are shown - originally there were pictures, but they now just appear as black squares. This is a May 1931 listing. I have heard that they changed colors (or maybe just the names) quite often during this period. The build sheet for my 355A delivered in March, 1931 shows "Peter Pan Blue" as the predominant color and that color is not even mentioned on the May 1931 listing.
Hope this helps a little. I encourage any Cadillac owner who has not done so to go to the above web page and download the vehicle information kit for their year car.
R. Rowland CLC #28971

1931 Model 355A Sedan (Recently sold)
1931 Model 355A Fleetwood 4535 Convertible Coupe
2005 Cadillac XLR