News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Could the interior in this car possibly be original ?

Started by dino, April 20, 2015, 03:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

Why not?  11,000 miles, if stored in garage with right climate it could be.  I have to wonder if any of the threads are rotted though??
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Agreed.

If the car is everything as professed, no reason why the interior could not have survived that well and it sure appears to be the case judging from the condition of the rest of the car.

Seems to have excellent provenance as well, plus mega rare Q Engine Code (2) 4bbls, air conditioning and wire wheels - it's no ordinary '55 Cadillac.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

936CD69

Pretty car, but correct me if I'm wrong..wire wheels were a 54 option, but Sabres replaced them in 55? I'd give the car garage space at any rate...
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

dino

I was referring more to the pattern of the seats and the material used.
D.Martini
1954 6237DX  CDV
1956 6267X  CCP

1960 6267X  CCP

I am no '55 Cadillac authority but the seat pattern appears to coincide with the design shown in the 1955 Cadillac brochure for a Series 62 Coupe. 

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Cadillac/1955_Cadillac/1955_Cadillac_Brochure/1955%20Cadillac-02.html

Highly unusual for a Series 62 to have been ordered with the dual 4 bbl carburetor and air conditioning - yet no power windows.  ???

Craig might be correct about the wire wheels...

Listing is just begging for a picture of the data plate.

dino

" I am no '55 Cadillac authority but the seat pattern appears to coincide with the design shown in the 1955 Cadillac brochure for a Series 62 Coupe.  "

Your right .. Thanks for posting that brouchure...
D.Martini
1954 6237DX  CDV
1956 6267X  CCP

1960 6267X  CCP

Walter Youshock

It's in amazing condition.   The rear bumper ends alone are worth a mint.  I wonder if they ate the original set...

Interior code is 44: light tan wool gabardine with dark tan bolsters and trim.  As for the wheels--should be sabres in '55. 

Gotta see the data plate on this one!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I think that there was more work done to this car that immediately meets the eye.

It's not "original" in my opinion, but partially or "cosmetically" restored.

Yes, it should have Sabre wheels.  Also, take a good look at the seat upholstery.
All the seams are crooked -- a sign of a poor upholstery job.  They were redone.
Cadillac would never have let it leave the factory like that.

Also, lots of questions under the hood.  Some non-original things added but there
signs that there was painting done.  Note the bolts holding the front fenders to the
radiator support.  They are painted -- they should be silver cad.  Looks like a quick
"fluff and buff" paint job may have occurred here.  The heater duct hoses are
missing -- too lazy I guess to find proper replacements.

Before I would spend $$ on this one I would have to do a hands on inspection to
see what else turns up.  Any oh yes -- verify the data plate.

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Bill Young

I am in full agreement with Mike. I have been into 1955's most of My life and I have owned a Series 62 Coupe and a Sedan and It is hard to tell definitively but that Cars seat inserts don't look like Gabardine cloth which is what it would have come from the Factory with. Also Very strangely optioned for a Series 62 Coupe Factory Air, Fog Lights Eldorado Engine , but no Power Windows or Autronic Eye ? and yes the wire wheels were on 1954's. 1955's were Sabre Spoke wheels. If one were to desire such expensive options start with a Coupe DeVille you get the power windows and a 2 way power seat standard along with the upgraded interior. I also agree it looks screwed with. I myself would leave that one alone.

okccadman

The carpet doesn't seem right and I agree that those seams never would have left Clark Street like that.   Since Sabres in 55 and Wires in 54 came in sets of 5, the steel spare seems to jump out as well.  A nice looking car none the less.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Caddy Wizard

My former 56 FW had an unusual trim code 95 interior with all one fabric (plain, unpatterned cloth) for the seats and the bolsters.  But I can't imagine that Cadillac sold a car with 1-1/4" pleats in some places, plain fabric in other places, and square panels with buttons in other places.  No, that is some upholstery shop's handiwork...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

The trunk compartment, the door weatherstripping and any number of telltale details give evidence of the car's overall excellent and unmolested condition - at least to my eyes - and from what little can be seen on an 8 1/2 x 11" computer screen.

Equipment is unusual - but by no means unheard of. To wit: My own '59 Series 62 Coupe is equipped with factory a/c, fog lamps, 6- way seat and Autronic eye...and manual windows.

Needless to say, nothing can be ascertained without seeing the data plate and of course, it's a given that there is no substitute for an in-person inspection.

That said, the example presented is as deserving of the benefit of the doubt as any I have seen - as far as judging from a laptop will allow and there is every potential for the car to be far nicer condition than it's getting credit for, in my humble opinion of course.

936CD69

The upholstery pattern IS correct for a 55 series 62, Eric's brochure and Mike's direct knowledge of the era prove that. You can also download the 55 Vehicle information kit from the GM Media Archives, and see the pattern and distribution of trim as described by Cadillac Marketing in 1954 before the introduction of the 55 models. I'm not saying it is the most attractive pattern, but it is as Cadillac made it. I have insufficient knowledge to comment on the originality of the trim
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302