News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Need to rebuild 1973 Eldo 502 engne. Rebuilder recommendations wanted

Started by traveler2, April 30, 2015, 08:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

traveler2

I live in New York, but if you've had yours rebuilt and are pleased with the results, please let me know who did the job for you, regardless of location.  My mechanic rsuggested Jasper in Indiana, but they seem like a general shop, not neccessarily familiar with the nuances of the Cad 502.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,
Richard Paley

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Richard,
There are good reputable shops all around the country, and I hope someone from your area will "chime in" about one near you.  Having said that, Marty at MTS is (in my opinion) just about as knowledgeable as anyone in the industry regarding these motors, and has (and currently is ) building them and shipping them around the world.  I might suggest you contact them and discuss what you want in the way of performance, stone stock to hi-po, and get some numbers. They seem to have an "in" with shippers so that might help as well.There contacts are;

Phone (760) 247-2533
Hours: M - Th    7:30 - 4:00 pt   /  Fr 8:00 - 12:00 pt
http://www.500cid.com/

Best of luck and we look forward to seeing your project on the roade.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

traveler2

Scot Minesinger

The extra cost to send it to CA should be worth the trouble. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

I have not had a complete engine done by 500cid.com but have bought parts from them and they were great to work with. 

I too have heard that they have some good deals with freight companies so their location is not really an issue. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

Just read thru this forum and encounter numerous horror stories of shops that claim to be able to rebuild a 472/500 engine and cannot.  If you hire a trusted resource such as MTS or 500cid, then you should enjoy success and your main troubles will be shipping and the cost.  If you hire an inexperienced shop you will so wish you had done it right with a trusted resource.  It takes experience to rebuild these engines, for example sealing the intake manifold requires a full bead of RTV in all places that make the gasket seal (especially the corners), not just the 8 intake ports as stated in the intake manifold directions!  If it is not sealed properly the timing mark will flutter (making it difficult to set) and it will idle rough.  Experience (and MTS telling how to fix it) is how I know this intake gasket sealing issue.

I am working on a 72 Eldorado that received a valve job by another mechanic just recently.  Cannot set the timing due to fluttering and I know the likely cause is the intake manifold seal - need to confirm.  This problem was covered up by the previous mechanic setting timing 8' past factory and turning up idle speed.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

35-709

500cid.com is the web address for MTS.  The 472/500 series of engines is all they do and they know their stuff.  My '73 Caribou has an MTS rebuilt stock 472, I'm in Florida.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2