News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1952 series 60

Started by jiport7, May 13, 2015, 07:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiport7

I am restoring a 1952 series 60 Fleetwood sedan. It has fog lights. I can't seem to find the directional for the front of the car. It has rear taillights with directionals and back up lights. The fog lights have 2 bulbs in them - one is a very small bulb and the other is a large bulb with a round disk of metal on it.
Is it possible that there are no front turn signals on this model?  Did they not come out till 53? 
  Thanks

54 caddy larry

the small bulb is directional, the large one fog.
Larry
Larry M

1954 series 62 coupe
1974 Harley Davidson FLH

My caddy is my never ending work in progress.

jiport7

I don't think it is. I looked in the service manual and it says that the small bulb within the fog light bucket is a parking light. The book also recommends 1154 bulbs for all directionals (Tail lamps and signal lamps) and the smaller bulb is a 55 bulb.

54 caddy larry

Sorry if I'm wrong about a 52 but my 54 has a similar two bulb set up and the small bulb is the directional.
Larry
Larry M

1954 series 62 coupe
1974 Harley Davidson FLH

Dan LeBlanc

The fog lamp bulb is a dual filament bulb that serves as the fog light and directional. The small bulb should be the park lamp.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

m-mman

The flat ring on the bottom (with the three mounting prongs) means that it is a "Pre-focused" bulb.
My 55 has no fogs. A 55 parts car had fogs. I thought I might add them. I couldn't find replacement bulbs so I have just left the basic park/turn set up. The last time I looked for a prefocused bulb was 20+ years ago so maybe they exist somewhere now.

The Pre-focused bulb has its roots back in the days of bulb/reflector headlights (1930s). I think that the whole system was pretty archaic by the 1950s, but Cad figured that it would be good for a fog light set up.
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

54 caddy larry

My mistake Dan, thanks.
Larry
Larry M

1954 series 62 coupe
1974 Harley Davidson FLH

jiport7

That's all excellent info. So, is the fog bulb also the directional as Dan said. I also know what you mean about finding those bulbs. I lucked out since I have the ones that came in the car when I got it. I think they about $35 a bulb, but no one has them in stock.

Dan LeBlanc

www.bulbtown.com will have the bulbs you're looking for.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

m-mman

Neat site, but their page for the Flange base prefocused bulbs is blank . . .
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

J. Gomez

J. Gomez
CLC #23082