News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Gas tank refurbishment 1940 LaSalle

Started by scott c. 40 LaSalle, May 16, 2015, 12:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scott c. 40 LaSalle

Hi
I have a 1940 -52.  Just removed the gas tank and plan to get it refurbished locally.
The drain plug / nipple was leaking and over time appears to have "varnished" on the bottom, around the drain area.
Any advice?  Replace sender unit while it's out?  What to use to replace plug? Parts?  Other than a dent (no creasing) the tanks seems to be in good to great shape. What does this process usually / or should involve and approximate cost.  Thanks for your advice and suggestions.  Cheers scott in Red Deer

Jay Friedman

My '49's gas tank needed some work as it was dirty inside and something was wrong with the sending unit causing the needle to show empty when the tank was half full.  There was also something wrong with the hose coupling between the filler tube and the tank itself, causing a leak when the tank was full.  Nothing major, but rather than fix this tank, I was talked into buying a new tank, including a new hose and sending unit, from Kanter in Boonton NJ for about $500.  It was a good decision as the aftermarket tanks are well made, as is the new sending unit.  It was an expensive fix but all the old problems have been completely cured.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

scott c. 40 LaSalle

thanks - I will look into that as an option.