News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

New England Engine Rebuilder

Started by 64Coupe, May 19, 2015, 11:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

64Coupe

Can anyone recommend a shop in Massachusetts or Rhode Island who can rebuild my 429?   Unfortunately we found a ton of coolant in the oil pan.  There was a hole in one of the Pistons from the same side that the head was leaking coolant into the pan.  For now we are going to replace the piston and head gaskets, put her back together and see how she run.   May get lucky but ultimately she will have to be rebuilt.  So Awe are Looking for someone in RI or MA who others have used to rebuild the engine.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
JAS
1964 Cadillac Coupe
1967 Cadillac Fleetwood Limousine
1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible

Lucas Feininger #15674

I have heard that some NE members use J & M Machine in Southborough for rebuilding. I have not personally used them so consider this a lead and not necessarily a recommendation.

www.jandm-machine.com

Lucas Feininger
1965 Sedan de Ville
1965 Eldorado
2014 SRX
CLC #15674

"The only way to travel is Cadillac style"

dplotkin

Look no further than Eastwood's Auto Machine, in Somerville CT on Mass line just outside Springfield MA, 20 minutes north of Hartford.
http://www.eastwoodsautomachine.com/

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

Rod Dahlgren #19496

ASK the shop if they have rebuilt ANY 429 engines-- AND ALSO be aware of the variations of these engines from 1964 to 1967. They NEED to know what to look for!
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?

64Coupe

Great.  Thanks.  Can you point me to a link that gives more info about the differences in the 64-67 429's that you speak about?

Much appreciated.
JAS
1964 Cadillac Coupe

Scot Minesinger

Yes cannot emphasize the importance of experience with the 429 engine.  One of my friends had his 66 Caddy engine re-built.  The rebuilder replaced the pins that guide head to block with solid ones, and apparently they are hollow for oil return.  Luckily this was discovered somehow and the pins were replaced at the rebuilder's expense with correct ones. 

Also the bolts are a weird size I think in a few places, like a thirty-second of an inch in some cases rather than the normal sixteenth of an inch increment (or maybe a 16th of an inch in a larger size when you would expect an 8th of an inch increment).  If you use the wrong 8/16 th size and try to screw it in by force the female block threads are ruined. 

That one place looks promising, ask to learn who actually rebuilt 429 engines and if they remain employed there.  Hopefully you can speak with 429 customers too.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

64Coupe

J & M Machine in Southborough has apparently rebuilt a few Cadillac engines.  They sent me some photos and looks pretty impressive.  Going to call them to get more info.  www.jandm-machine.com

Also found these guys...http://remanufactured.com/Cadillac_Engines.htm.  They are asking $3000 for a remanufacteted 429.

Rather have mine rebuilt.

Jason
JAS
1964 Cadillac Coupe

64Coupe

See the photos J&M sent me.
JAS
1964 Cadillac Coupe

64Coupe

More pics
JAS
1964 Cadillac Coupe

64Coupe

Final photos
JAS
1964 Cadillac Coupe

35-709

If you are looking for specific information about their 429 rebuilding expertise you should talk to them further (or look further) --- none of the Cadillac engines in your pictures are 429s, they all appear to me to be 390s (or older) and 472/500s.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

64Coupe

Thanks. I plan on speaking with them tomorrow about their 429 experience.

I must say this forum is fantastic and the help and guidance the members have given me is amazing. 

I will continue to look for more materials that will help me better understand the differences in the 429 which in turn will better educate me on the questions to ask these people.

Thanks!
JAS
1964 Cadillac Coupe