News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'71 Eldorado: Exhaust Pipe bolts/nuts

Started by wbdeford, June 11, 2015, 08:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbdeford

Anyone know what size nuts and bolts to use to attach the driver side exhaust pipe to the manifold?  A previous owner rigged it with 5/16" threaded bolts plus 3 washers at each end.  When I removed it to replace the manifold gasket, I discovered the bolt was bent.  The nut wouldn't come off and I had to break it.

The manual specifies 3/8"-24 threads, but that's about it.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

Scot Minesinger

Yes that is right, fine thread 3/8 studs go into manifold and then two fine thread nuts secures the y pipe flange to the manifold, drawing bell shaped exhaust end of Y pipe against manifold for gas tight seal ideally.  In a way you are lucky, as most of the time the 3/8 nut is frozen on and takes a lot of heat and trouble to remove.  This way you could more easily remove the straight thru 5/16" threaded rod or long bolt by just tightening both ends simultaneously until it failed (or however you did it).

The idea that someone did this to your car makes all previous repairs seem suspect.  I have seen worse.

Have not seen fine thread studs at auto parts stores but they may remain available.  if not you can buy fine thread, threaded rod and cut to length. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

The Tassie Devil(le)

Did Cadillac ever use Brass Nuts to secure the pipes to the Manifolds?

I like using Brass Nuts as they don't seize onto the threads.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

beastly beauties

Bruce,  I remember working on most makes of 1960's and 1970's cars back in the day, and running to the local mom and pop hardware stores to purchase brass nuts for exhaust manifolds. I never could figure out why Detroit couldn't use brass nuts. Don't believe it ever crossed their minds, and of coarse I never bought a used car that had that convenience. I was the one who made it easier for the next owner!     David Symonds 

The Tassie Devil(le)

Ford used Brass Nuts.   But maybe that was only Ford Australia.   Never had a problem undoing those.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Scot Minesinger

Cadillac never used brass nuts on any exhaust manifold to Y pipe connection that I ever saw from 66 to 1976.

TJ Hopland

Parts stores usually have a couple sizes of somewhat universal exhaust studs still.   Its in the 'help' line. 

My guess is that the original stud broke off so they drilled them out.   I would say its a good sign that its a 5/16 because that means there is a chance you could re thread it to the proper size again if you wanted to.  If it was 3/8 with a nut the hole would already be oversized and you may have limited or no options to do it differently.    It could also be that 5/16 was all they had laying around.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

wbdeford

Should these work, or is the fine threaded side too long?  I don't mind having coarse threads on the nut side.  I just want it to work and to be removable later. 
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-help-exhaust-stud-kit-3-8-24-x-2-in.-03103/17190185-P

They also broke two of the manifold bolts off in the head (which I am not prepared to deal with at this time), so I know it won't be perfect until that is taken care of anyway.  I am hoping that since they are the 3rd and 6th bolts, that it will at least mostly not leak.  The biggest problem seemed to be they left a lot of old gasket material on the manifold when they installed the new gasket.  On the up side, the remaining 6 bolts were a piece of cake to remove.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

wbdeford

They definitely drilled them out--into oval shapes.  On one side, I was able to drill out a pretty smooth 25/64" hole for a helicoil.  So, it is ready for a coarse threaded 3/8" stud.  The other side, they drilled at such a bad angle that they missed the edge of the stud.  I may just have to live with a 5/16" bolt on that side. 
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

TJ Hopland

I have had em hold together and not leak for years even with 1/4 bolts and nuts in the rust belt which was why they broke in the first place.   

Scot Minesinger

Replacement exhaust manifolds are not too bad to buy used, probably worthwhile in the case where a thru bolt is being used size 5/16 instead of a factory 3/8".  It is understood it may hold, but it is the "may" thing that bugs me.

wbdeford

Thanks...will see how it goes with this one.  It was holding with two 5/16" bolts, so hopefully one 3/8" and one 5/16" will work also.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

TJ Hopland

Changing the manifold the question of how many of those bolts will break comes up and if / when those break they are much harder to deal with.   Often times drilling in the car is not an option so you are now looking at removing the engine or heads.  That is why I often go the route of just making the down pipe connection work since you can usually drill that in the car.   Since I got a oxy acetylene torch its much less of a problem even here in the rust belt.  With the torch its about 98% chance of getting a rusted nut off a stud so now I try and stud as many things as possible if they are in an area likely to rust.

wbdeford

It seems like whoever broke the two bolts on mine had so much trouble with that side that they just left the other side alone, even though it had a pretty bad exhaust leak.  I managed to get all the bolts out without breaking any, though one was pretty dicey for a while there, but that side's leak seems to have been taken care of.  I didn't try to disconnect it from the pipe on that side (passenger)

With a new gasket and what seems to be a better connection with one 3/8" and one 5/16" bolt on the driver's side, I'm hopeful there won't be a leak when I next run it.  After putting the exhaust back together, it was back to freeing up the distributor, which was finally successful this afternoon.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

TJ Hopland

I have been in that situation a few times too so I can understand how it can happen.  Minor leak should be an easy fix, get a set of donuts.  Break down pipe stud or two.  Figure it should be fixed right which requires removing manifold.  Break some of those too now leaks are worse and engine has to come out but the resources to do so just are not available.