News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Eldorado Brougham 2-door coupe

Started by veesixteen, May 15, 2015, 08:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

veesixteen

Thanks Glen. I have contributed to Wikipedia in my day (both on Cadillac and non-Cadillac topics). It's a great system for putting out there the best, most reliable information and IMAGES from the most qualified experts. It does require constant supervision to prevent "jokers" frpm butting in.  There's also the risk of "too many cooks spoiling the broth". Let's have JC's opinion on the issue.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Hyfire

Quote from: veesixteen on May 21, 2015, 08:42:34 AM
Let's have JC's opinion on the issue.

I don't think he's paying attention Yann.

I find it strange that nobody has thought to suggest David King.  The guy is active and reliable.  JC may be the nicest guy in the world, but the resource is wasted after 6 years of neglect.  At some point Yann, it's going to be so outdated that a new one would be better.  It would be a waste to lose all your hard work.
J. M. Ackerman

Glen

I have refrained from responding because this thread has strayed far from its initial subject.  But I would like to address Yann’s concerns. 

Quote from: veesixteen on May 21, 2015, 08:42:34 AM
Thanks Glen. I have contributed to Wikipedia in my day (both on Cadillac and non-Cadillac topics). It's a great system for putting out there the best, most reliable information and IMAGES from the most qualified experts. It does require constant supervision to prevent "jokers" frpm butting in.  There's also the risk of "too many cooks spoiling the broth". Let's have JC's opinion on the issue.

It is true that Wikipedia has a large number of people that just fix the vandalism that is done on their site all the time.  But they chose to allow that.  However it is real easy to fix those things.  Someone with the proper permissions goes to the utility page and selects the last proper version of the page, clicks on it and all the later vandalized pages are gone.  It only takes a few seconds to return a page to its last correct version. 

I have been tinkering with a similar platform called Tikiwiki.  I have some issues with it so I am not recommending it for the Cadillac Database.  With Tikiwiki (TW) there are three default user groups: anonymous, registered, and Admin.  You can make as many user groups as you want.  Each group is assigned permissions that allow them to do various functions.  With TW I count 229 permissions that can be assigned to user groups. 

Anonymous users are those that land on the website and do not log in.  The only permission they need to have is the ability to log in.  Other permissions that may be assigned to the anonymous group is the ability to read pages, to self register, to edit pages and more including all the way to everything Admin can do.  For the Cadillac database I would think that the only permissions for anonymous users would be to read all pages and log in; no editing.  Registration can be by invitation only, restricting those that can edit pages to only selected people. 

Pages can also be restricted so that only registered users in a certain group can edit the page.  For example the page Dream Cars might be restricted to only those users in the Dream Car group.  The same could be done with the pages for Mascots or Engines etc.   And users can be assigned to more that one group depending on their areas of expertise. 

A big problem with the current website is the person maintaining it needs to be an expert in webpage design as well as an expert in the subject matter. Wikimedia takes care of the webpage design part.  The user only needs to know a few commands to create and edit pages. 

Yes, it is true that too many cooks spoil the soup, but it is also true that one cook can not feed an army.  (Is that why army food is the way it is?)   ;D ;D

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104