News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac selling on line and other means not working.

Started by Scot Minesinger, July 27, 2016, 02:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INTMD8

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on July 28, 2016, 03:30:33 PM

What???????? You sold the 58???????  Noooooooo!!!!!!!

57 actually but yes. Still have the 59 though :)

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: wrefakis on July 28, 2016, 02:07:04 PMa good car priced right will always sell!

The problem is not everyone agrees on what a "right" price is and that can cause a car to sit and sit and sit and sit.....

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on July 28, 2016, 04:38:09 PM
The problem is not everyone agrees on what a "right" price is and that can cause a car to sit and sit and sit and sit.....

Then it was not the right price to start with otherwise it would not have sat.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on July 28, 2016, 06:07:20 PM
Then it was not the right price to start with otherwise it would not have sat.

My point was that it can potentially take a while to find agreement on a "right" price is and this can cause a car to sit.   What may be the right price for one buyer (or seller) may not be for another.

wrefakis

there is a live market for good cars, and 95% of sales take place when seller get serious, case in point 73 Fleetwood I was high bidder on at 10k seller wants 40k

had the seller been serious car would have sold at a figure in low teens, when and if it ever is for sale that's where the hammer will fall

fantasy sites like Haggerty have sellers out of touch, the more you insure your car for they more they earn, go try and sell one at that number

dochawk

Quote from: INTMD8 on July 28, 2016, 01:39:55 PM
I sold a vehicle recently on bringatrailer.com  I like their platform. Reserve is not revealed (whether there is one or if it is met),

I've done many foolish things, but I wouldn't bid on something not ending within the hour without knowing the reserve.  For that matter, I generally wouldn't bid on a hidden reserve at a "regular" auction . . .

However, I will offer $3,000 for the house . . .
hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

James Landi

I have successfully sold my Allante and one of my 80's Biarritz convertibles on Ebay, and a '72 convertible on this web site. I appealed to buyers who were looking for verification of a car's condition, and in order to verify that claim, I provide scanned copies of repair bills for serious potential buyers... I also had 2 of my  cars at Cadillac dealers' service departments for change of all fluids during my Ebay sales, and I provided contact information with the service department managers.   I also provide potential purchasers with the names of local repair shops so an independent mechanic can discuss the car's condition on a telephone callt. Serious purchasers appreciate marketing a car this way, and they will self-identify as they close in on the sale.  The dopes that like to play games don't get involved

Scot Minesinger

Sold both cars this weekend and deposited the cash.

So my different approach was my e- listing I basically wrote that even though this is technically an auction it is worthless, call me if you want to buy the car.  I stated the price that would be accepted and the first person who put that money in my hands would get the car.  It worked.

Kind of a weird way to do it, but they both sold. 

What I got from the feedback was - that is it no other options - figure it out.  Thanks, would not have gone the extra mile to make it happen without the feedback.  I'm going to enjoy a nice steak from the proceeds.

The written places like Hemmings and the like were not the audience needed to be reached.  If I had a real classic in the five figures area that might be an option.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Maynard Krebs

Quote from: savemy67 on July 27, 2016, 06:06:49 PM
Hello Scot,

I actually prefer Craigslist over eBay.

Yeah; chalk me up as another one that greatly favors Craigslist over Ebay.

Scot Minesinger

Thanks for feedback.  Buying things on e-bay is great in all of my 485 transactions except one.  I think for selling things e-bay is way better than C list.  Have purchased a car on e-bay and C, both good experiences. 

Think I was loosing patience because of the scammers clearly in it for the sport of just posting a winning bid they had no intention of honoring.  I cancelled what I could (the ones who joined yesterday with no feedback and one transaction), but at the last minute bids rush in and you can't see it until auction is over. 

It goes both ways, enjoyed lunch at a GN with a car dealer who routinely gets his brother in law to bid up cars he is trying to sell.  I put in a low bid at the beginning, (if a car go see it) and in the last 30 seconds enter in my real best offer bid.

Patience, figuring a good approach and etc. pay off in the end.  Now I know.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Maynard Krebs

It took me a couple of years to sell an early-60s "Brand X" American 'heavyweight'.... and my success was reached via the national club for that make.

Based upon my experience, my bet is on a greater chance of success in finding a buyer is via the CLC.  This is because, while many "might" consider a Cadillac, they're open to other possible makes.  Buyers are often unpredictable.  Advertising in the CLC publications or this site... is, by definition, aimed at Cadillac people.   Thus, the percentage of possible buyers of all who see your ad.. is quite higher because your "aim" is more concentrated or 'focused'.