News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

2 questions....53-55 carpet fitment

Started by bullet bob, July 27, 2015, 08:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullet bob

For starters, I've got 2 questions. I'm looking to replace the carpet in my '53 CDV. I know it's wool. I know it's sewn. I know "molded" is not OEM, but my carpet is lousy. So until I find the OEM, I'm going to settle. Question: would a preformed carpet made for a '55 fit my '53?
  Second question: I hear alot about TetraEthyLead. Can this be found at your local parts store? Online? Thanks. Bob
Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"

Dan LeBlanc

Tetraethyl lead is not legal for on-road use anymore. 
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Caddy Wizard

I don't know about the 53 carpet.  54-56 use a special weave called "Daytona" which is not commonly available, unlike the ubiquitous loop carpet.  If your 53 is supposed to have the Daytona carpet, you'll regret putting anything else in it.  I have had several 54-56 cars and the difference between the correct carpet and the other stuff is very noticeable (once you see the difference, it sticks out like a sore thumb if you have the wrong stuff).  Here is a close up view of a bit of the original Daytona weave carpet in a 55 FW.

SMS does supply the correct weave for 54-56.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Dan LeBlanc

53 does not have the Daytona weave for sure.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

bullet bob

This is what I'm looking at http://www.ebay.com/itm/231168371390?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
  The FIT is what I'm concerned about. Apparently the other guys just have a 2 piece outfit. "From '49-53".  How much difference can there be, strictly talking about fitment, between the floor pan of a 53 compared with a 55? These suppliers are just that, suppliers. They have no idea. I'm sure I'll find an honest answer here. Or maybe just an answer ;) Thanks all. BB

Bobby B

Bob,
Hi. I use a local shop who does just about all the carpet cutting for most of the major stores/vendors/distributors. Nice quality stuff and great prices. I use them for all my "Driver" vehicles, just to get some fresh carpet in without breaking the bank. They do old Cadillacs so you might want to check them out. Won't get a better carpet cut for the price. Excellent people to deal with. They also carry steel brake/fuel lines/fittings in 6' lengths, which are hard to find in today's market, where all you can buy is the green coated stuff in roll form.  Good Luck!
                                                                                                                                                    Bobby

http://www.newark-auto.com
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Dave Ventresca

the carpet used in 53 CDV, and convertible  is called Grosspoint. available from SMS in oregon. its same carpet used in 53 -54 corvettes.I think the 60S used a wool carpet. many years ago, Grosspoint was used in airliners. Its very durable. Dave

bullet bob

All-
Thanks for the help. I had already checked out SMS; they only go down to a '55. I'm giving Bobby's place a whirl. My car will never be a $40K car, but I want it to show nice. Having it repainted this winter. Re-chroming the rear bumper shortly. Can't believe how much they want to do that! Never know, just might end up with a $40K car (invested). Just worth $20K! Thanks all. BB