News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Wolf's Head semi-synthetic motor oil for 1970 to 1990 Cadillacs.

Started by EAM 17806, September 16, 2015, 01:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EAM 17806

How good is Wolf's Head semi-synthetic motor oil 5w -30w for use in 1970 to 1990 Cadillacs, other than high performance ones?
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Jon S

Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

EAM 17806

Quote from: Jon S on September 16, 2015, 02:10:17 PM
From what perspective?  Brand, weight, formulation?
JON!  I'm referring to the quality of Wolf's Head semi-synthetic motor oil. The weight should be okay.
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Jon S

Wolf Head's been around for years - a good product. 

I'm not a fan of synthetic oils for the older cars and stick with conventional Dino oil (10W/30 or 10W/40) and have been using Pennzoil or Quaker State changed every 2,000 miles.  Synthetics  or semi-synthetics may last longer, but I like flushing out the suspended particles and acid more often.

JMHO
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Dan LeBlanc

I run synthetic oils in all of my newer stuff but still follow the same oil change interval recommended by the manufacturer for conventional oils.  Remember, we change oil because it gets dirty.  A 1970 Cadillac will still deposit the same contaminants into synthetic oil as it will into conventional oil.  I don't discount the superior lubricating ability of synthetics though.  Admittedly I have not heard of Wolf's Head, but definitely would read up on it.

For a brief period, I did run Mobil 1 10W30 full synthetic in a 62 Coupe de Ville I owned and did not experience any more leakage than it did on conventional oil as some report.

In any case, I cannot see a synthetic blend oil being detrimental to the cars you are referring to.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

76eldo

You need the zinc for your cam and lifters.

I run Lucas Hot Rod oil formulated for flat lifter cams.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Gene Beaird

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on September 17, 2015, 07:42:49 AM
I run synthetic oils in all of my newer stuff but still follow the same oil change interval recommended by the manufacturer for conventional oils.  Remember, we change oil because it gets dirty.  A 1970 Cadillac will still deposit the same contaminants into synthetic oil as it will into conventional oil.  I don't discount the superior lubricating ability of synthetics though.  Admittedly I have not heard of Wolf's Head, but definitely would read up on it.

<SNIP>

Actually, it's not the same contaminants, there's one big one missing: the lead.  That, and the carbon from running rich during warmup are what causes most damage.  So with the lead out, your interval can be extended a bit, but if the car gets little  usage, and taken on short trips, the same interval is probably good to follow, since the other issues, moisture and acids, won't likely get boiled out as much, or as often. 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

TJ Hopland

I don't know that brand but I do like the blends.  I believe they are considered to be a premium brand and I assume carry a premium price?   On a non daily driver I suppose the cost is not a factor.   Even on a daily driver the cost of oil is a fairly minor percent of the overall cost of ownership and operation.     

I started running a blend about 10 years ago in a daily driver because Motorcraft was the only thing parts stores stocked in the weight I needed.   It was a Mopar product and for the first 2 or 3 years I could not buy anything less than a 55 gallon drum from them so I had to go to Ford to keep my new Dodge on the road.   When I got into diesels I found a 5w-40 blend that seems to be a good quality oil.  I found it also carries a SJ rating for gas engines so its what I use in most everything now including my 73,  dads 57, and many of my small gas engines.    No clatter on cold starts and I get good cranking speed (or easy pull on the rope) even below freezing and it seems to stay cleaner than regular oil did.   I don't extend my change intervals.   Part of the cleanness could be the diesel formula but I remember the same thing about the Dodge that I changed myself at 4,000 miles for 180k.   At times due to availability I ran regular and full synthetic and the regular was always much dirtier than the blend or synthetic.   Didn't seem to matter the brand.   I put a lot of miles on that car so sometimes I would be changing it every 4 weeks. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason