News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Early Cadillac antiques/ memorabilia

Started by Lunchbox90909, October 08, 2015, 11:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunchbox90909

Hello all my name is al. I am New to the forum and I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can help me with. I have a few antique Cadillac items that I am trying to figure out the best route to travel down to find either an enthusiast or auction to sell the items to or at least try to gauge the value of these items. The three items in question are... Family photos of Henry Leland and his family and cars. The second item is an original notarized lease for Cadillacs properties in Detroit in 1910. Finally the third item is the minutes log from Cadillac motor car for 1905-1910. Any info or suggestions with these items is greatly appreciated. I will get photos up ASAP. Thank you

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Al,
I would suggest you call them memorabilia rather than antiques. They have a very limited market so a lot of exposure will be needed.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

You might consider donating the items to our museum and take them off your taxes. You might be able to assess a greater value for them that way. In any case, best of luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

J. Skelly

Hello Al,

I suggest you find a reputable auction house, appraiser, or antique book dealer in your area and get an appraisal.  If there are none in your area, you could scan portions of the documents and email them to dealers that deal in rare documents.  If you decide to donate them to the Cadillac-LaSalle Museum, you can be assured that the items will be properly preserved.  If you've ever seen the PBS show, Antiques Road Show, dealers will often offer to buy items at well below their actual worth to keep for themselves or flip.  An appraisal service won't have a vested interest in the items.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

gary griffin

Al,

It may generate more interest if you were to post pictures of what you have on this forum. That would not change the value of the originals and all of us Cadillac lovers would love to see them!!
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Lunchbox90909

Here are two examples of the photos i have. sorry about the poor quality pictures. the first is of Henry Leland and Wilfred Leland with Wilfred's children. The second picture is of Henry Leland  and his grandchildren (Wilfred's children).

Lunchbox90909

Here are a few pictures from the buildings lease from general motors to Cadillac motor car in 1910. Again sorry for the poor quality pictures.

Lunchbox90909

These are pictures from the minutes log. Again bad pictures on my part.

jwjohnson86

Wow.  That corporate minute book could have a lot of fascinating information about what business decisions they planned to take, production plans, approving new models, etc.  Would be a great addition to the museum as other posters have noted.
1970 DeVille Convertible 472 cid

http://bit.ly/1NhHpdt

Duncan Fox

Quote from: Lunchbox90909 on October 09, 2015, 01:49:19 PM
These are pictures from the minutes log. Again bad pictures on my part.

Wow indeed....................the very first meeting of the board,

We have just been allowed to view the actual birth of the Cadillac Motor Car Co. That's made my day seeing that document. Thank you for sharing with us. I believe this minute book is very significant to historians and I shall be calling Maurice Hendry to tell him that this has surfaced. The CadLaSalle museum seems the logical place but it would equally be at home in the Smithsonian.
The idea of donating it for a tax break is great but this opportunity should be looked at by the club with a serious view to obtaining this material.
1930 V16 roadster
2005 CTSV

Duncan Fox

Maurice Hendry was thrilled to hear of the existence of the minute book. He like myself likened it to the Cadillac equivalent of the Magna Carta ( US Constitution equiv) As he does not have a computer I read the material to him over the phone and will take copies around later today to let him see for himself.

Al I have pm'd you.
1930 V16 roadster
2005 CTSV

Duncan Fox

Maurice Hendry has asked me if there have been any developments here that are not obvious, any deal in the background,? he would like to keep track of these objects.

1930 V16 roadster
2005 CTSV

veesixteen

Hi Al,

As creator and compiler of the CLCMRC "Cadillac Database" (www.cadillacdatabase.org), currently supervised and kept up-to-date by CLC member "JC" Franchitti), I would like to ask if we might include in the "Database" the material you provided kindly to the Cadillac Forum web site. Any other, similar historical material and photos would also be welcome (good digital copies are fine) .

You may contact "JC" directly with copies to myself and to Paul Ayres, in charge of the CLCMRC (Cadillac and LaSalle Club Museum and Research Center located in Kalamazoo, MI).

Thanks in advance.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"