News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Pertronix install

Started by Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373, November 21, 2015, 10:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbdeford

What happens if you have too large of a gap?  When I installed my Ignitor, the distributor was stuck in the bore so I couldn't remove it to add a shim.  My gap between the module and the magnetic ring when I pull up on the rotor is definitely larger than it should be. 
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

Scot Minesinger

Not only do you need to remove the distributor to likely add a shim, but the timing will have to be set also.  The distributor should be loosened from the bore anyway.  This has happened to me twice on my 472 engine and both times I was replacing the original timing chain, so cover was off and was able to more easily loosen it more easily than if front cover had not been apart.  If you have not replaced timing chain, this may a good time.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

wbdeford

The distributor is freed now, after much effort and penetrating oil, and months after I installed the ignitor.  I had forgotten about the excess play.  I will shim it, but still curious about the consequences of not.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Well, logically I would think that if it gets too much of a gap then the magnet would be too far for it to trip the unit and cause a miss.

Got her running today. Just in the garage. Seemed smoother.
However I must have bumped something because the gen light was on. I have never had a problem with the charging system. Now I had the door open a lot because while I was under the dash I cleaned up a lot. The last time I did that I pulled the fuse. Just didn't this time. Battery was very low to the point of almost not starting it.
It was putting out about 13.75 volts at about 650-700 rpm (I only had my old analog voltmeter).
I put a charger on it and will see. Looks like I have another project.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

wbdeford

Thanks, Jeff....was thinking the same thing.  I have an occasional momentary hesitation when I start from a stop, so maybe that is the cause.  Will be a while before I can confirm that, since my car has no front suspension at the moment.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

Scot Minesinger

Jeff,

That is the way it goes, finish one project another emerges.  After reading the failures you suffered with points and condenser I just converted my 1970 Cadillac SDV over to the Petronix tonight and it runs great.  However, the brand new (1,000 miles on it) rebuilt water pump is noisy and has a lot of play so have to replace it. 

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Yep, I understand. And no matter how much you try, you always get a glob/smear of that blue gasket stuff somewhere when you had it PERFECT the first time........ And a little knuckle skin on the radiator.
Good luck,
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Scot Minesinger

Jeff,

Thanks but I always install the gasket dry.  Insert exhaust studs into the 3/8" female threads on block and hang the gasket.  Then install all the other bolts, remove exhaust studs and install the 3/8" bolts-no gasket cement.  I have done this job at least ten times on the 472/500 block engines, and this looks so nice.  Since I installed the previous water pump dry gasket, cleaning up gasket mating surfaces will be quite easy.  Just before the Pertronix was installed rebuilt the carb.  The car just runs so well now. 

Happy Thanksgiving!