News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1953 Cadillac history

Started by july76, November 08, 2015, 08:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan LeBlanc

Yup. Shown in the data book found here:

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits.html

I highly recommend downloading the 1953 one. It will explain a lot about your car. Contains the data book and owners manual.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

july76

I have the data book and the owner's manual but I'm not really convinced. The picture with that wheel disc is just an example,
in this case taken from a '52 to show the rims as an optional accessory. That is confirmed by the Cadillac Database

Dan LeBlanc

Why would you refute the factory documentation?
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

jdemerson

Julio,
   Dan Leblanc's information on hubcaps and wheel covers is exactly correct. I have both the 1952 and 1953 Data Books, and they do show the correct wheel covers for the two years. The full wheel covers for 1953 were different from those for 1948 to 1952. The 1948-1952 models had the famous "sombrero" wheel covers, first in chrome and later in stainless steel. My 1952 Cadillac was the last that had the sombreros. The 1953 wheel covers were different and were used only in that year. In all of those years, cars without the optional wheel covers came with standard "hub caps" and the trim rings could be added as an option. Some enthusiasts prefer that combination to the more expensive full wheel covers.
   The information and photos shown in the Cadillac Data Base and posted above is correct and is consistent with what is shown in the respective Data Books.

Regards!
John
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

july76

No my aim to refuse the official literature just I was confused with the styles when they are only wheel discs with or without
  the trim rings  ::) Closed

Tito Sobrinho

Quote from: jdemerson on November 15, 2015, 07:10:40 AM
Julio,
   Dan Leblanc's information on hubcaps and wheel covers is exactly correct. I have both the 1952 and 1953 Data Books, and they do show the correct wheel covers for the two years. The full wheel covers for 1953 were different from those for 1948 to 1952. The 1948-1952 models had the famous "sombrero" wheel covers, first in chrome and later in stainless steel. My 1952 Cadillac was the last that had the sombreros. The 1953 wheel covers were different and were used only in that year. In all of those years, cars without the optional wheel covers came with standard "hub caps" and the trim rings could be added as an option. Some enthusiasts prefer that combination to the more expensive full wheel covers.
   The information and photos shown in the Cadillac Data Base and posted above is correct and is consistent with what is shown in the respective Data Books.

Regards!
John

The sombrero hubcap was introduced in the 1947 Cadillac, but due to the 8:20x15 low pressure tires introduced in the 1948 Cadillac,  the insider retainer is deeper with a measurement of 2 1/2"  versus the 2 1/4" for the 1947 sombrero.
To distinguish them in a jiffy...One drain hole in the inside retainer for the 1947 X two drain holes for the 1948 sombrero.

;
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

july76

The answer to my record vehicle request that the DVS of Minnesota has
  sent to me: "This letter will verify that the State of Minnesota Department   
  of Public Safety, Driver and Vehicle Services Division is required to retain
  records for a period of 7 years. Records prior to 2007 have been destroyed.

Our office has made a through search of our files by VIN & plate number.
  We were unable to locate a record that the above listed vehicle has been
  registered or titled in the State of Minnesota for the years 2008 through
  2015"

I really can't believe that the DVS hasn't digitized his documents. I agree
  that the wiping policy it made sense in the pre-computers with tons of
  documents taking up space but now in the year 2015... Nothing more
  can be done