News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

84 Eldorado belts

Started by Lars Kneller 8246, January 18, 2016, 09:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lars Kneller 8246

I am working on my recently acquired 84 Eldorado, and noticed the belts all have GM part numbers on them. Are these the original belts? If so, I should replace them. Thanks. They do look to be in good shape though.

TJ Hopland

Original would seem unlikely but I suppose possible.   Maybe the previous owner had all their work done at a dealer so it got GM replacements?    That would still likely make em old but maybe 15-20 instead of 32? 

New belts seem kinda springy and not quite the same profile as originals so if what you got is working I would be tempted to leave em.   Maybe get replacements and keep em in the trunk with the tools just in case?    Nice thing about V belts is usually 2 drive the water pump and fan so if you loose one you have some time to deal with it.  Its not like today when you loose the belt you loose it all and will be screwed if you dont get shut down in basically seconds. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Lars, you're living on " borrowed time" with the 4100 anyway. Leave them alone. See you Saturday.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville