News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 cadillac brake morraine booster -master cylinder and door keys

Started by DBDB, December 11, 2015, 02:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBDB

i try to take apart the set but all the screws are taken out and it does not come apart ...
the piston in the master cylinder cannot or does not come out of the housing .It goes up and down but has a round disq at the top that prevents it from going out ??

Second question : i have no keys for the car and found a number on the trunk lock .Can you still use this number to order new keys some where ?

Thanks

Roger Zimmermann

Do you have the shop manual? The Bendix has a disk at the front of the cylinder pluger; by removing the compensating valve from the fluid reservoir, the rod can be taken out.
The hydraulic plunger from the Moraine system has no disk, it should come out without problem.
The number you found on the trunk lock will allow you to let do the key for the trunk and glove compartment. The door and ignition code is stamped on the shank of the door locking handles, to be removed to read the code.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

J. Gomez

Quote from: DBDB on December 11, 2015, 02:56:38 AM
i try to take apart the set but all the screws are taken out and it does not come apart ...
the piston in the master cylinder cannot or does not come out of the housing .It goes up and down but has a round disq at the top that prevents it from going out ??

Second question : i have no keys for the car and found a number on the trunk lock .Can you still use this number to order new keys some where ?

Thanks

Daniel,

Maybe a picture or two would be helpful in identified your problem.

The booster cover has 4 bolts and two small hold screws on opposite corners, once you remove the 4 bolts you will need to hold the cover as it is under spring tension and removed the two small screws.
Note: I normally place two larger length bolts one two corner and finger tight them and removed the small screws. I them slowly removed the bolts to relief the spring tension.

You would also need to remove the air cleaner on top of the booster and the hose from the power piston which connects to the vacuum check valve on the cover.

Once these are remove/disconnect the power piston can be removed from booster.

Hope this helps..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

wbdeford

You might be talking about the end plug.  It is threaded in.  There is a special tool (J-5794) that is used to remove it. 

These pictures are from my '58 Delco Moraine, which is a different master cylinder, but uses the same end plug.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

DBDB

I must say that the morraine master cylinder has a disc at the top of the shaft and i removed the plug inside the reservoir but cannot remove or disconnect the disc trough that opening .
I will see if i can take a picture

Where do you order keys if you find the code ? mine on the trunk lock was 8705 .Is that a number that i can use to order the keys ? thanks

Glen

I just had keys cut by code for my 68 ELDO by Jesser’s Key; they worked perfectly and they have the correct head with the Cadillac logo.   
http://www.jessersclassickeys.com/
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

J. Gomez

Quote from: DBDB on December 11, 2015, 05:43:10 PM
I must say that the morraine master cylinder has a disc at the top of the shaft and i removed the plug inside the reservoir but cannot remove or disconnect the disc trough that opening .
I will see if i can take a picture

Where do you order keys if you find the code ? mine on the trunk lock was 8705 .Is that a number that i can use to order the keys ? thanks

Daniel,

If you have the 1956 Service Manual section 14 page 21 shows the location for the key codes.

As for the M/C hope you can get a picture posted to better understand what you are seeing. Again if you have the Shop Manual section 7 will show the process and details on the booster and M/C.

Just in case you do not have a copy of the manual I’m attaching both pages for section 14 body and section 7 brakes.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

DBDB

Thanks for the information : keys : i found the key number on the trunk lock housing and it is only 4 numbers  .Is this enough ? I see on the picture in the shop manual that it shows 6 numbers  ..
I took out the door handle  from the passenger side and i see no number so i suppose it must be on the driver side handle ?? will take that out one asap .

Brakes : Any possible screw is taken out of the unit but it does not seperate .Would you please also take copy from previous page .
I need to buy a shop manual asap 

Thanks for your help

wbdeford

Does this picture illustrate where you are having the problem?
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

J. Gomez

Quote from: DBDB on December 12, 2015, 06:09:59 PM
Would you please also take copy from previous page .

Attached..!

Quote from: DBDB on December 12, 2015, 06:09:59 PM
I need to buy a shop manual asap 

You can buy the soft copy version on CD which includes the MPL (Master Parts List) or a hard book copy unfortunately the quality is very poor on both. You can still find original copies of the Service Manual in eBay just need to find one that is in good/fair condition.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082