News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Eldorado tire pressure

Started by LenInLA, December 27, 2015, 11:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glen

Too bad there is no easy way to check the tread pressure on the ground across the width of the tire.  Ideally the pressure should be even across the tread.  That would give max traction and even wear.    If there was an easy way to check that then we could set the tire pressure for each tire for each car. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Jeff Moffo

What pressures do you guys suggest for a 76 Deville while hibernating for the winter!? :o
Also can someone suggest a good tire inflator/compressor I could purchase to keep in my garage!
Regards,
Jeff
Jeff M
North Jersey
Best of all, it's a Cadillac....
'76 Coupe DeVille - Claret (Sold)
'73 Series 60 Fleetwood (Sold)
'76 Coupe DeVille-Dunbarton Green

EAM 17806

Quote from: Jeff Moffo on January 13, 2016, 03:20:50 PM
What pressures do you guys suggest for a 76 Deville while hibernating for the winter!? :o
Also can someone suggest a good tire inflator/compressor I could purchase to keep in my garage!
Regards,
Jeff
I would suggest 28psi while driving and 30psi during hibernation!  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

TJ Hopland

Every 'tire infiltrator' I have ever seen has been somewhere between mostly to complete useless the first time you try to use it.  The second time if there is one is even worse.   

Anytime anyone asks me about what size compressor to buy I always say get the biggest you have space and electricity for and can afford.  If you have never needed or wanted an air compressor and don't plan to do anything other than inflate tires and maybe blow the dust out of things occasionally this is about as small as I would consider. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-Gal-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-TA-2530B/202564847

Its likely going to be a bit on the noisy side but should do the job well and last a log time with occasional use.  I'm not endorsing Home Depot or that specific model just giving an example of about the size and style I would consider a minimum.   You could go a little smaller if you don't have space for that size but when you get down to the 3 or smaller gallon tanks it could end up taking an hour to fill a completely flat tire which is not much better than those 'inflators'.   Those tiny tank units are intended for things like nail guns that just use a tiny burst of air at a time. 

For about the same money if you don't mind used stuff and have the storage space I would be looking at Craigs list for someone getting rid of an old school 'cast iron' compressor.    Often times those will come with hoses and such and 80's and older were built to last so if they have had reasonable care they could last a hobbyist a lifetime.    If you go look at a used one if its empty open the drain at the bottom of the tank and see if its full of rust or sludge then let it run.   Should not take more than a couple minutes to fill from empty.  If it takes more than 5 its likely pretty tired.   You then want to open the drain again and see what comes out.  A little water and rust is normal.  If its a lot of crap I would steer clear, its a sign that it has not been cared for and the tank could be rusting from the inside out.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason