News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1963 Heater/AC unit help needed!

Started by Dave Burke, January 18, 2016, 08:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Burke

Hi Y'all,

Well, here I am with my 1963 Series 62 Sedan rat-rod project and I have gotten to the point where I am re-assembling the heater-A/C blower unit.  The problem is that the car suffered heavy water damage and some parts rotted away, while others just don't seem to make any sense at all.  This problem is exacerbated by the fact that the service manual illustrations are lousy.  I know where everything goes on the outside of the unit, but there are some springs that are supposed to go in there too and I have little idea of where.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave Burke
CLC 27968
1957 Sedan Deville
1963 Series 62 - Project LUX
1983 Maserati Quattroporte

"Who loves ya, Baby?" - Kojak

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Dave,
You say your car is a "rat rod" project.  If so you aren't very clear about what has been rotted away.  It might be worth considering getting an aftermarket HVAC system from someone like Vintage air.  It might prove simpler and less costly than trying to reconstruct an authentic 63 system for a cart that is not intended to be authentic.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Jason Edge

Hi Dave, We have a 7 pages of pictures in a photo album on the 1963/64 Cadillac Website at this link: http://6364cadillac.ning.com/photo/albums/misc-ac-heat-pictures  Note, that I have most of into all of the 63 AC/Heat part including the complete Air Box assemblies (heater case assy and air selector assy).  There are a few scans from the Master Parts Books starting on page 6 in the photo album (such as the one below) that are a bit more clear (but less detailed) than the shop manual illustrations. Shoot me an email to jasonedge@nc.rr.com if you need help locating any of these parts:
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Scot Minesinger

Dave,

Jason Edge sells 1963 and 1964 Cadillac parts.  Probably a good idea to buy a completed unit used, clean it up and install in your 1963 Cadillac.  If he does not have one, he is probably going to know who does.  This should be the least expensive, easiest, and best result.  Also a used unit, probably would best show you how things go together. 

If you decide to use a modern system, such as "Vintage Air", highly recommend that you do not have one of those below dash blower units popular in the 1960's for adding a/c when it was not factory provided because they look terrible.  Any system you choose, have the in dash air ducts and vents for a/c and heat discharge.

Enjoy your Cadillac!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Scott/Dave,
Vintage aire is a little more sophisticated than that today. At the last Inter-regional event there was one member that had one of their systems in his '63 and although not exactly as original, for a "rat rod" it would be so.  The issue with the original would be the 35 (if I told you once I told you three hundred million billion trillion times not to exaggerate) miles of vulnerable vacuum lines to install, protect and maintain.  The advantage of the after market in you application would be the system is designed for R-134a and all electrical in control operation.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Dave Burke

Hi Guys,

I have everything as far as parts go - the main reason I am having fun with car itself is because of all of the water damage it suffered as it sat outside with a bullet hole in the windshield and the windows cracked (plus chipmunks using it for acorn storage) for the last 20-30 years.  I gutted the car, pulled out all of the fabrics, cleaned or replaced all of the seat springs and re-upholstered everything, and am now about ready to re-install the heater core and A/C components.  What needs to be replaced has been replaced. 

However, why buy a new system when I have everything?  My problem is that for many assemblies in the car, the shop manual has prolific illustrations and photographs - except for the heater-A/C unit.  Like I said, there are some springs and other bits inside and whereas they were nice to show how the flaps and valves were supposed to be positioned for heat, vent, or A/C flow, other information is lacking.  Again, I don't see why I should buy another system either to see how to rebuild this one (why would I want two climate systems?), or replace it now that I have cleaned and repaired the present one.  I guess that I should have been smarter and taken pictures all throughout the disassembly.

My real concern has to do with the diverter valve.  There is an obvious hook on the side with the heater-air conditioner vacuum power unit (which works fine), but there is also a spring mounting point on the other side where the air conditioner cross-car duct is, but no obvious attachment point in the duct.  There is also a slot in the main duct that seems to act to keep the valve closed, but does the spring and power unit attach to the same point on the diverter valve, and should there be another spring on the cross-car duct?  If I get this info, I can have this assembly back together in about 15 minutes and back into the car!  One less big hole in the firewall that lets this cold, cold air in.

Thanks much for the assistance!

Best,

Dave Burke
CLC 27968
1957 Sedan Deville

Dave,
If you had posted what you just did originally there would have been more accurate responses to your inquiry.
I'm sure there will be many who's experience with this car can answer just what you are asking.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Dave Burke

Hi Greg,

I guess you are right there - I just tend to get frustrated with these rotten manuals, knowing that probably somewhere there was the "GM's Ultimate Climate Control Guide" with color photographs and 3-D glasses, while what I am given is paltry.  If I was going to do a resto-mod (or if I had a lot more money and a more valuable car) I would probably go with a new system.  But this is a likely flood car with a wrecked interior that I have rebuilt into something fun, rather than collectible.  That's what the other one is for (and it just got hit by a deer, so...). 

In short, if I was skimpy with the info, I do apologize.  I am just tired of staring at the blasted thing and trying to will it to reconstruct itself!

Best,

Dave Burke
1957 Sedan Deville

DEave,
Do you have the print version of the factory service manual?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Dave Burke

Hi Greg,

Yep - I am looking at it right now.

Best,

Dave
1957 Sedan Deville

Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Dave Burke

Hi Jason,

That slideshow was great and I got a lot of information from it!  Thanks!  My question is how the vacuum motor connects to the door - does it just hook onto the same spring that normally holds it closed?  I am assuming that this is the case, but my assumptions have recently borne little fruit...

Best,

Dave Burke
1957 Sedan Deville