News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Source for Reproduction 1967 Dash Trim

Started by Evan Wojtkiewicz, January 31, 2016, 11:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Wojtkiewicz

I had the brushed aluminum dash insert for my '67 DeVille re-done at a local polishing shop. The shop made a great effort, but I'm not 100% sure I want to use it. For instance, the piece wasn't exactly precision fit by the factory and leaves some noticeable gaps in certain areas. There are other little issues that probably only I would notice, but it's in for good once I glue it in.

The obvious answer would be to go used, but what are the odds that I'd find this piece in excellent condition without having to buy the dash bezel with it. Does anybody make reproductions of these pieces? A cursory web search indicates that the usual places don't.
CLC 29623

1967 DeVille convertible

Barry M Wheeler #2189

First, someone wishing to reproduce a GM part must get permission from them.

Second, you have to invest a great deal of money in your project, so that the part is accurate, and true to the original.

Third, After you have completed the project, and have several hundred of them sitting on a shelf in your garage, just how many do you think you are going to sell? How many 1967 Cadillacs are still being driven? How many owners would purchase one at say, $395.00 plus shipping?

And then when you do sell one, the customer complains because it is way too expensive and didn't fit quite right, so he wants his money back.

My one instance of knowing the ins and outs of someone reproducing a (reasonably well-needed) Cadillac part was the late Lynne Steele who sat beside me at a Carnival of Cars Banquet in 1965. I had thanked him for making the 1941 Cadillac stone guards for the Series 62. He mentioned that he had invested $20,000 in the project before he ever saw a dime back.

Evan, this is a long winded (and hopefully polite) method of telling you that there is not now, nor will there ever be enough demand for anyone to reproduce the part you need. Cadillacs are simply too rare for re-doing such a part and making any kind of money from doing so.

I would sincerely suggest that you contact one of the dry, AZ parts yards and pay a premium for them to select the very best one they have. And remember, it will have the same "defects" that you found in your own part. Good luck in your quest.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Evan Wojtkiewicz

Didn't really help, but thanks. I guess.

To be perfectly clear, the piece in question is just a stamped sheet of aluminum (see pic below). Companies already do reproduce the '68 equivalent which is the same basic piece made of wood veneer, as opposed to the '67 which is aluminum with a brushed finish. I thought that with the combined expertise of this forum, that somebody might have a lead.

I realize that complicated 3D parts with multiple complex pieces are difficult/expensive to remake. This is not one of those parts. I may stop by a metal fabrication shop or two to see if they could make one for me. The most difficult part would be to get the accurate dimensions to create an AutoCAD file for the CNC or laser cutter. My initial thought was to have a dozen or so made to amortize the cost a bit and help out my fellow hobbyists. If GM wanted to come after me, that's their prerogative. I'm not looking to go into the business, I'd just like to avoid rolling the dice on a used part.

Like I said, my piece is in serviceable condition. That doesn't mean I can't try to do better.
CLC 29623

1967 DeVille convertible

Gene Beaird

Evan,

Not sure how far you are along with this project, but have you checked with the company(s) that make that '68 part?  I've found that many of the dash and trim parts for cars that have a covering (veneer/paint) are frequently backed by metal or plastic.  I know I've peeled cracked and faded veneers off of nice, brushed aluminum panels on old cars before. 

Perhaps one of the companies that make that 68 part can either cut one (or a few) out of brushed aluminum, or cut one and NOT apply the veneer and ship it to you?  Just a thought. 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Evan Wojtkiewicz

Gene, that's a good idea! I didn't know that the wood grain veneers had a metal backing. I haven't seriously looked into having it fabricated yet, which I think I'll still try, but I'll update this when I have more info.
CLC 29623

1967 DeVille convertible

Scot Minesinger

Evan,

First how long is it?

Barry is right.  Making a reproduction part is difficult and demand has to be considered against development cost.  Likely someone who owned a 68 Cadillac wanted the piece and developed it and to minimize his cost he duplicates it.  That piece cannot be profitable.

As an example I have a great design for frame strengthening rails for 69/70 Cadillacs that bolt in perfectly and have the exact same bottom cut outs.  This was made to strengthen the frame of a two door DVC that was made into a four door.  The car does drive way better, and have considered adding it to my other two 1970 Cadillacs.  I sold one set and that is it.

With the development of 3D printing you could be in luck for reproduction.  I plan to get into that.  The reason I asked about length is these printers are expensive and usually do say 8" cube size pieces, but large format printers exist two.

Good luck,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Evan Wojtkiewicz

Hey Scott,

It's roughly 30"x 3". It's just a flat sheet of (stamped?) aluminum. I went by a metal fabricator yesterday, and they said it'd be no problem to CNC or laser cut as long as I get them a drawing with accurate dimensions. I've used a CNC before, those machines could spit out dozens of these quickly and easily. They prefer an AutoCAD file as opposed to a drawing on paper. They recommended software from a company called Punch, which I could download a basic version for $40 if I'm so inclined. I called OPGI and got the name of the manufacturer of the '68 wood piece, and I'll call them soon to see if I could get their pattern or if they could just make one in aluminum for me.

I like the idea of a brace for our convertibles. It may work for many applications, I'm sure the '65-'70 frames can't be that different. Maybe you could licence the design to OPGI or another retailer with manufacturing connections. You might not make much money, but with today's technology, small run manufacturing is a possibility.
CLC 29623

1967 DeVille convertible