News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Mystery wire?

Started by MeToo, March 05, 2016, 03:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeToo

This might be a silly question but my '76 Fleetwood has a black wire plugged into the passenger's side cylinder head area just behind the generator, the wire then goes into a plastic conduit (installed by previous owner). This conduit runs all the way to the back of the engine with a T junction that goes to the carb. I noticed today this wire was disconnected.

What is this wire? What is it for?
I know its not the engine metal temp switch as the manual says thats on the back of the driver's side head. I can't work it out from the manual either. Any ideas?
Thanks

Gene Beaird

A picture would be handy.
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Scot Minesinger

This wire connected behind the generator on pass side is the "make sure engine is warmed up before allowing heat to run when it is cold outside" switch.  It is a bi-metallic thermal switch that activates around 140'F and makes ground.  If this is disconnected, thereby making ground an impossibility, then your car heat system may not work unless it is grounded prematurely to this.  If you look on the climate control wiring diagram, this should show up.

If your heat does not work, ground this wire and it may work.

Be careful replacing this switch if you decide to.  Often claims are made for it as a replacement but it is really a block is too hot sensor that trips past 250'F and it will never allow heat to run.

Since most cars are not driven in extreme cold, I usually ground this wire and abandon the delay.  This also cures a problem in the dash switch for a/c which is a frequent problem. 

There are two circuits that keep climate control from operating when the system is not ready to provide comfort.  One is this for heat, and the other is in dash switch for a/c that enables blower fan after a/c is ready to deliver cool air, which is often quick and this switch is the weak link of dash switch.  However when car is warmed up if the sensor behind generator is functional it will allow a/c to work if dash switch is no good.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadman56

Scot is correct on the blower relay till engine warms up.  Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820