News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

59 with a 40 mile per hour plus vibration

Started by 390 man, March 14, 2016, 07:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

390 man

59 has a vibration problem. It starts at 40 miles per hour and gets worse from there. I put the car up on the Hoist and removed all the wheels. I will have them road force balanced. While the car is off I figured I would have the drive shaft rebuilt and balanced. I will also install a new carrier bearing. This assembly has been removed before, is the U joints have Japan stamped on them. As I was removing the drive shaft through the tunnel, I found 2 1/8 inch thick spacers lying in the tunnel. They are approximately an inch or so in diameter with 3/8 of an inch hole. I'm just wondering if these were some type of an alignment spacer that should have been underneath the carrier bracket? When looking at the bracket after removed, there is no evidence that the spacers were underneath the bracket. I'm thinking that possibly the person that installed this carrier bearing forgot to put the spacers under the carrier bracket. Has anyone ran across this sort of thing before? Thanks Dave R.

dplotkin

With a two piece driveshaft as you have on your 59 pinion angle is vital to avoid vibration. Have you done anything to change ride height, such as new springs or "air choks" as we called them in high school?

The center bearing can be shimmed to adjust pinion angle relative to the front shaft to try and dial it out. On Chevrolets the single upper control arm mount is also shimmed, not sure how Cadillac did it. Have you looked at the shop manual trouble shooting guide for this?

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

390 man

Yes I looked at the manual but did not see anything that pertain to this. It just seems odd to me that these were laying in the tunnel. They seem too  thick to just be washers

savemy67

Hello Dave,

As Dan mentioned, there are several angles that need to be within specification for the '59 drive lines.  My 58, 59, 60 Chevrolet manual/supplement details the measurement of these specs.  Adjusting the specs includes the use of shims at various locations including under the drivesahft center bearing.  Check your other '59s for the use of shims under the bearing (except the Buick, which I think still used the solid torque-tube instead of an open driveshaft).

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

390 man

Thank you. Yes, my driveshaft shop confirmed how important alignment is. I will install the road force balanced wheels and tires, and rebuilt and balanced driveshaft. To start I will not install shims and see what happens. Thanks Dave.