News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Prep for Interior, 1940 6227C

Started by ebuliavac, March 16, 2016, 05:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebuliavac

Hi All,

Finished with mechanical issues, some light body work, and then I'll finish the interior.  It does have a reupholstered front seat.

I need to prep the interior before all the new wool goes into the car.  It was covered recently (glass is not yet installed) and it has a bit of old car smell, kind of like an old attic.  I want to get rid of that before covering my metal panels with new fabric.

Any suggestions on preparing the interior for re-upholstery?  Mostly, I don't want my nicely restored interior to stink.  A product like  Ozium works but is water-based and might cause rust.  That makes me think of Prepsol, acetone, gasoline, I don't know.  There is always paint, but would there be authenticity issues?  From the factory, this car seems to have bare metal, so any primer or Eastwood product might be a bit inauthentic.  Any thoughts on Dynamat or Dynaliner, authenticity or otherwise?

Thanks in advance,

Ed Buliavac

BTW, if anyone knows someone who can do some hammer and dolly work on some dings, fill a couple of spotlight holes, maybe a bit of sectioning, please PM me.  I am in 95051, Santa Clara, CA 
1940 6227C
1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Steve Passmore

Ed, I have lost count of the cars I have re-trimmed over the last 40 years and almost every one of them stunk like an old attic of mould, mice or squirrels and believe me when the car is filled with the aroma of new leather or cloth, new headling and new carpets it has overpowered all other aromas in every single car.
For cars that come in stinking which are not having their trim replaced I have had great success with a couple of treatments of my wife's household odour spray sold under the name 'Frebreaze' here.

I think your being over zealous worrying about authenticity if you wanted to paint it. Who the hell will see the metal behind your interior??
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

ebuliavac

Thanks Steve!  You're right, no one can see that.
1940 6227C
1996 Fleetwood Brougham