News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959/60 Non AC heater install

Started by JoeKarasinski, March 14, 2016, 07:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeKarasinski

I'm reinstalling the heater box inside the car and I thought I remembered it fitting tightly to the fire wall when I took it apart but now that I'm putting it together it does not tight. there's at least a 1/2 inch gap and I can not see any way that it could fit the way I think it should so is there some kind of seal or gasket that I'm not remembering.

I apparently never took pictures of this area. for all the hundreds of pictures I took I don't have half of the ones I wish I thought to take in hind sight.

390 man

I just completed putting a heater core in my 59. I was able to get the foam gaskets from old Air. They only sell a gasket for the exterior firewall for an AC car. I just cut out the part that I needed and it worked great. I also  sealed up the internal heater box with some 3M windshield sealer. It's thick black and spongy and never hardens. Very sticky also. You should be able to find old air on the internet. The whole gasket set was under $50. Hope that helps Dave.

390 man

The 3M sealer is in a caulk tube. I got it from O'Reilly's. If you can't find it I will go out in the barn tomorrow and get some numbers off of the tube. I've been watching the progress on your car. It looks really good. I'm pretty sure I looked at that car about 3 years ago. It was for sale on the corner of Groesbeck and 12 Mile. If it's the car I'm thinking of it had all that glass knocked out of it. Quite a story behind that. I have 2 59 flat tops. Dave.

76eldo

Joe,

It's at least a two man job.

You have to push hard to get the studs to go through the firewall and someone needs to guide the heater hose tubes through and pull on them very gently.

The floor vent will also keep you from getting it lined up completely if it;s installed.

I am really not sure about a gasket on the inside.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

JoeKarasinski

Thanks Dave, I was thinking of using the windshield sealer, there's still some goo on it and I was guessing that may work.

It is that car. I bought it from the Dowells they had got it as a parts car for their convertible.

JoeKarasinski

Right now I'm lucky in the fact that right now I still have no dash or windshield installed and my wife for a helping hand.

390 man

This is what I used to seal my heater box. Dave

JoeKarasinski

I got it installed. For the inside seal i used 8mm round foam core butyl tape. Dor the outside cover the original gasket was in great shape so it was reused and I used the bedding caulk for the big plate the blower motor is mounted to. We water tested and everything is dry so now we.van move on to everything else.