News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 CDV transmission screen question

Started by Alex053, April 22, 2016, 10:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex053

I'm a new owner of a 1957 CDV and I'm taking care of all the leaks now. I pulled the trans pan to replace the gasket and notice that there was nothing really holding it in. There's the front and rear pick up tubes that were just slid into the screen. Is this correct? Are there any O rings that need to on the screen side of those tubes? Maybe a bushing for the larger tube towards the front of the car??

The tube in the picture does have an O ring that's still in the transmission body but there were nothing else in there. I don't want to have to do the job twice or risk damage to the transmission so any help would be appreciated.
1957 Coupe Deville - Mountain Laurel with a white roof

Roger Zimmermann

Both tubes which are coming into the screen are without seal. Of course, as you saw, there is an o ring into the transmission for the other ends of the tubes.
The one on your picture is the intake tube for the rear oil pump; the tube for the front pump is attached to the transmission with a clamp.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Alex053

Ok. That clamp is there and the o ring is in the trans. I'll button it back up then. Thanks for the help and I look forward to spending more time on the forum
1957 Coupe Deville - Mountain Laurel with a white roof

Walter Youshock

That's the way it is.  I'd replace the O rings before putting it back together.  They tend to turn to glass and lose their sealing ability.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham