News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 Club Coupe - Starting Issues

Started by sdigesualdo, August 08, 2023, 06:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdigesualdo

Hello All,  I have an ongoing issue with my 1949 Club Coupe.  The car does not readily start after sitting
for a day or two.  I have plenty of battery power and cranking amps ... the problem is with the carburetor.
If I don't prime the carburetor before trying to start, it will not start!  It does fine once it has
started - meaning, I can shut if off after initial start and it will fire right up.  The next day I can try to
start and nothing but, crank, crank, crank!  I have replaced the carburetor with a new rebuilt unit and also
have replaced the fuel pump... still the issue persists.  I do not want to install an electric fuel pump if
I don't have to.  The car runs fine in every other way - what am I missing?

Thank you!!

Jay Friedman

After sitting for a day or two and it doesn't start, is there gasoline in the glass bowl at the top of the fuel pump?  Also, if you take off the air cleaner and look down the throat of the carburetor, if you pump the carburetor by moving the linkage do you see gasoline squirting out of the two jets you can see down the throat?
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Caddy Wizard

Carefully check the choke setting.  If the choke is not closing when the engine is cold/cool, it will be hard to start.  You are artificially making it rich by adding gasoline to prime it in that instance and it starts up.  Once the engine is warm, the engine doesn't need a terribly rich mixture and it restarts fine when warm. It is only when the engine has completely cooled down that it won't start.

Before trying to start it tomorrow, take off the air cleaner and pump the throttle one time.  That should set the choke to be closed.  If not, the choke is not adjusted correctly.

Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

sdigesualdo

Jay and Art,

Thank you for all your input here.  This morning I closed the choke just a bit more and the car fired right up!!
I knew this should be adjusted in this fashion but, for some reason I looked passed it!  Thank you again
for your help!!
Scott