News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1956 hubcap medallions "eastern egg mystery" ???

Started by J. Gomez, May 21, 2016, 10:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Gomez

Folks,

Not sure if this was discuss previously or not, just in case here it is.

While restoring a few sets of hubcaps medallions I’ve discover some differences on a few of the sets.
The red painted areas inside the crest one shows this to be flat (Medallion B) while the other shows vertical groves (Medallion A).  :o

The MPL only shows one part # for the standard wheels/turbine and a different one for the 6237SDX and 6267SX models wheels.
I do not know the differences between the standard versus the turbine wheels medallions or if one or the other was an early or late production. Maybe a different supplier or a change of the die/design. ???

Just in case someone else comes across these while restoring theirs or if anyone has any inside details.

Also not sure if the particular differences are addressed in the Authenticity Manual or if it was ever discuss in any judging event.  ???
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Roger Zimmermann

If I'm not saying something wrong, I believe that the medallions for the Sabre wheel have a smaller diameter than the ones for the standard wheel covers.
I can check this afternoon.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

carguyblack

Hello Jose!
Hope you're doing well and even have some time to drive your car these days, now that it is nice out once again!
I checked both my 56's and the Sabre wheels as well as the hubcap car all have the medallions with the vertical bars in them. None had the smooth variety. That's not to say that someone didn't switch some over the years for better looking ones but as they sit, both cars have the same center piece (vertical bars).
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Jon S

Jose -

I'm curious how you restore the emblems - the red, black and white.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

J. Gomez

Quote from: carguyblack on May 22, 2016, 07:07:04 PM
Hello Jose!
Hope you're doing well and even have some time to drive your car these days, now that it is nice out once again!
I checked both my 56's and the Sabre wheels as well as the hubcap car all have the medallions with the vertical bars in them. None had the smooth variety. That's not to say that someone didn't switch some over the years for better looking ones but as they sit, both cars have the same center piece (vertical bars).
Chuck

Chuck,

I’ve also posted the same at the Mid Century Cadillac forum, South_paw found a few extras on his stash and he also found both variations. He also noticed the differences between them especially with the merlots one version these are raised and on the other they are pressed.

After a closer look there are other differences between them, so it seems (wild guess) there was a changed in manufacturing as one was raised and the other was pressed including the design changes.

As to when the changes were made that is the $50K question.  ???

Oh well this may well be one of the many un-resolved mysteries.  :o
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

J. Gomez

Quote from: Jon S on May 22, 2016, 07:14:50 PM
Jose -

I'm curious how you restore the emblems - the red, black and white.

Jon,

I will use the Testors hobby paint and the smaller paint brush tip to get these areas painted. Since some of the areas on the medallions are raised while others are pressed I’ll try my luck with the brush.

However with my eye sight I will need to buy a 10K magnifier lens to follow the paint areas.  ;D

I’ve also found folks used a paint pens that disposes the paint in engrave areas with good results, what I’m not sure is how well those will work on raised emblems.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Tito Sobrinho

José,

Cadillac did not make those, and there is a difference beetween both,  this indicates that they used two providers. As I can deduce that sample B was easier to manufacture ....cheaper one.
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

oldcarguy

Hi Jose,
which red do you use from testors? Do you do several coats? I have some to do as well as some of the other emblems. [hood vent badges, trunk, etc]
Thanks,
Don Ford
Don Ford

1941 SERIES 6219D
2017 XTS
Others:
1949 Mercury coupe
1964 Pontiac LeMans
1959 Chevy Impala

Philippe M. Ruel

Cadillac hubcaps used similar design medallions from 1946 (?) to 1957, with slight differences from year to year, making a 1946 one quite different from a 1957. Being on a 1956 hubcap does not mean it is a 1956 medallion.
Prying and unprying the tabs is an easy job to replace a worn medallion by a better-looking one, or installing a medallion on a better-looking hubcap purchased with no medallion, or whatever may have happened in 60 years of junkyard - or eBay - finds.
1952 60 Special in France.

Roger Zimmermann

Philippe, '56 medallions are specific for that year. 54 & 55 are the same, but different from 1956. 1957 was plastic, again different.
As I noted, the medallion for the Sabre wheels is smaller than the one for the standard hubcap. On my '56 de Ville, I have the model which is the smooth version. As the '56 medallions on the Biarritz are reproduced, this is irrelevant.
As somebody else wrote, Cadillac had most probably 2 suppliers for those medallions, like for the clock, antennas, master brake cylinder, and so on!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

J. Gomez

Quote from: oldcarguy on May 22, 2016, 11:18:21 PM
Hi Jose,
which red do you use from testors? Do you do several coats? I have some to do as well as some of the other emblems. [hood vent badges, trunk, etc]
Thanks,
Don Ford

Don,

I have an old Testors Red Rouge 1103 which is close to the red on the medallions although a bit more reddish than the original one. It was the closes red I could find at the hobby store.

I will most likely applied two coats and will wet sand with 1000 any brush imperfection especially on the larger areas such around the crest.

Hope this helps
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

J. Gomez

Tito, Roger,

I totally agree that Cadillac may had different manufacturing suppliers making these, it would seem as the only logical assumption for the differences between them.

Thanks,
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

BillR. CLC # 29203

J.Gomez,
Sounds like a project.
I was going to restore the ones to my son's '59 but most of the "tabs" were shot.
He's in law enforcement so I did this instead for mounting on a wall or maybe use in a parade.
Picked up new ones from McVey's.
Have a great day.
BillR.
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

Crew Member:  '59 Sedan Deville Six Window

oldcarguy

Thanks Jose,
Testors Red Rouge 1103 it is...
Don
Don Ford

1941 SERIES 6219D