News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Idle drop in Drive causing issues.

Started by wearymicrobe, May 25, 2016, 03:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wearymicrobe

Kind of a strange question. Got one of my 356 motors built up and installed. Car runs great, idles great, manifold pressure is doing exactly what it should.

But at idle and only in gear the car has a miss and its showing on the vacuum gauge on the manifold. Its moving around -~3 inches with no real pattern, drop it into neutral and it will read a solid -22 inches, drops smoothly and the car freaking roars in neutral, definitely dragging though off idle in gear.   

So couple questions. I am assuming that it is load on the motor and the carb causing about a 200rpm drop in RPM in drive. I have the motor set at ~1400rpm cold, 800 rpm in neutral and about 600 in drive. I swear it sounds just like a sticking/maladjusted  valve but as soon as I bring the RPM up it goes away.  At 600 the car will creep forward.

My normal SOP would be to retard the timing about 3-4 degrees and that cleans it up a small amount but I know I am not hitting the book curve above 2000rpm then.

Also do OEM 57 Cadillac's have fuel pressure regulators or are they built into the factory fuel pump. I have new pressure gauge coming in this week and I am checking the floats tonight just to be safe. Is there a check valve in the hydromatic brakes that I might not know about and am missing say a check valve.

If I had another wide-bore AFB that I trusted I would swap it out but I don't right now.

wearymicrobe

Penalic spacer failure and a bad hot idle valve means its not going to run. Got a new carb on the way as I am sick of dealing with the old carter rebuild parts cost. Went to a 1406 will bolt right up except for the kick-down which I will have to fab.