News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

68 Calais front arm rest jammed

Started by Gene Beaird, July 12, 2016, 07:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gene Beaird

We recently got the transmission in our 103,000 mile 68 Calais rebuilt.  The rebuilder said it seemed fine, and he would recommend a filter and fill.  I told him that it leaked a LOT, and that since it's 40 years old and has 103,000 original miles on it, I really wanted it gone through.  He did as asked, and later told me it was a good call, as the front clutches had zero friction material on them. 

Anyway, when driving the car over to the transmission shop, I discovered that I could not lower the front seat arm rest.  It seemed like it was actually locked into place.  When I tried to stick my hand in between the top of the arm rest and the seat and tugged on it, the whole seatback would move with it. 

Any idea what the issue could be?  I am pretty dang sure there's no latch.  Could the hinge have come loose and jammed somehow?  Thanks for any pointers.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

David Greenburg

I would try reaching up under/behind the bottom of the armrest to try and free it. I've resolved issues with balky armrests on other makes that way, and I doubt the hinges vary that much between makes. Once you get it down you can figure out what is wrong and remove it if need be.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Dan LeBlanc

When my front arm rest is folded in, it's stubborn to get back out on the 61.  I have to reach under the bottom part of the arm rest like David says, push up on the arm rest while at the same time, pull out on the top strap to get it out.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Gene Beaird

Thanks, guys.  I will be spending some quality time out in the shop this weekend, so I'll have a look then.  Since the car now has a hopefully not-so-leaky transmission, I need to clean it's parking spot in the shop.  Should be fun.   :o
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Walter Youshock

Try lifting it from the bottom at the seat cushion then lower it.

When was the first year a Calais or 62 series had a front arm rest?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham