News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Optima Battery for 1939 LaSalle

Started by JohnWNY, July 19, 2016, 03:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnWNY

What model Optima battery will work in my '39 LaSalle, 6 volt?  Thanks

TJ Hopland

I think they only make one 6 volt.   Be sure you are not going this route to overcome wiring deficiencies.   An optima or worse yet 2 in parallel will give you more than enough juice to start fires.  You also have to beware that with any optima type battery that under normal conditions they act pretty normal as far as charging.  If you do manage to fully drain one you have to go through special steps to get it charged again. 

You don't want to just do a quick jump and go, when dead these will suck all the power they can get and then some which can be very hard on a vintage charging system and will usually cause even a modern charger to thermal out.  Sometimes if you have a very low amp charger like 1 amp or less you can let it sit on that for a day then switch to a normal low charge rate like 10amps and it will recover.  The recommended way to recover a dead one is to connect it to a similar sized fully charged battery with jumper cables then connect your medium to heavy duty charger to both batteries.   The charged battery acts as a buffer to not overload the charger and then both get recharged by the charger till you get it mostly charged when you can then disconnect them and charge normally.

I saw one of these in a car I jump started earlier this summer.  Not cheap but if looks are important...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Style-Battery-Case-Hides-6-volt-Optima-Battery-Classic-Vintage-Cars-/361639645101?hash=item5433670fad:g:tRwAAOSwqu9UzxkP&item=361639645101&vxp=mtr
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TJ Hopland

Bill Ingler #7799

John: If you are going to use an Optima then by all means buy a low amp Battery Tender or Battery Minder. As pointed out by Hopland you can ruin an Optima if you use a regular battery charger. The Battery Tender or Battery Minder is a low amp charger and I keep all my cars are on these type chargers. Here are pictures of 2 Battery Tenders on two cars with 12 volt batteries and a Battery Minder on a Optima used on my 47. One of the 12 volts chargers is plugged into a 12 volt gel battery and the other is on a regular acid battery.      Bill

robert G. smits

The Optima in my 41 is over 10 years old and going strong.  It has been on a Battery Tender since new.  I am slowly converting all my cars to Optima.  Optima makes  2 and 4 battery chargers also.  I have one of each.  Bob Smits
R. Smits, #2426
23 Cad 7P Touring
32 Cad 5P Coupe
38 Cad 90 Series
41 Cad 63 Series
58 Cad Eldo Barritz
The average man can take care of one Woman and two Cadillacs, Al Edmond AACA Past President

TJ Hopland

I have one that is getting pretty old now that is still going strong and it was from when they were still an independent made in USA company.  I have recently retired a couple much newer and lighter weight ones from the Johnson Controls?  Mexico era.   The later ones just don't seem to last any longer than typical batteries but sell for a much higher price so you have to really want the 'spill proof' or extra rugged features to justify the premium price.  I recently noticed at least the external design changed.  I don't know if anything else has changed.   It does look like prices have come down a bit since last I looked, maybe I was not the only one that thought they were too expensive for what you got.   At one point $225 seemed to be a typical price for the 34/78 red top.   Looks like $180 is a common price now which is closer to a similar spec premium conventional battery.     

gary griffin

My 40 LaSalle has the battery under the hood which  is incorrect. I will probably move it back under the drivers seat and not even bother with a cover as I will not be showing it in CLC events. More important to me that it runs well and starts every time. Some previous owner moved it. Why would we want a container of acid in our engine compartment?? Optima is my choice from now on!
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

TJ Hopland

You would rather sit on a container of acid?     8)

So why was the battery not under the hood by that time anyway?    I kinda get it 10-15 years before that because there was not a lot of room under the hood and I think the starting switch was practically on top of the battery but I assume by 39 even LaSalle had a key start and by the looks of things no shortage of space under the hood? 

gary griffin

I misspoke, it was under the floorboards in front of the drivers seat.

I already have went to Optima so no liquid acid is required.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver