News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1972 Cadillac Headlight Problem

Started by Coupe Deville, June 05, 2016, 01:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone.

I'm having a problem with the drivers side low beam headlight on my CDV. Last week the headlight went out, I thought it was burned out. I opened the hood and wiggled the connector to no avail thinking it was a bad connection. I closed the hood and the light popped back on. So I drove home, and It was fine for the next few days. Yesterday night the light went out again. But I have discovered that the light comes back on when the high beams are turned on. So that rules out the light being burned out. Could anyone point me in the right direction about this one? Definitely sounds like a wiring issue now.

One good thing, having the fiber-optic light warning system is awesome. Very helpful in this situation. New cars should have them too.

Thanks

-Gavin 
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Scot Minesinger

It still may be the light bulb - switch driver/passenger to be sure.

Usually this problem is centered around the floor mounted foot activate bright switch, start there for a wiring problem.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

The low beam can go out and still have the hi beam work.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Lucas Feininger #15674

I had a similar problem years ago with a Buick Riviera.

The low beam bulb had two filaments in it. One came one when the low beams were on, both came on (as well as the separate high beam bulb) when the high beams were on.

I would replace the bulb.
Lucas Feininger
1965 Sedan de Ville
1965 Eldorado
2014 SRX
CLC #15674

"The only way to travel is Cadillac style"

Dan LeBlanc

When you closed the hood, it may have rattled the filament enough for the two broken/burned ends to touch together allowing the light to operate again for a short time.

Done this a few times with burned out light bulbs in the house when we were out and didn't feel like going to the store to get more.  Usually got me through a day or two until I was passing by a store to pick up more.  Yeah, I know, I'm cheap.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

m-mman

The sealed beam headlight bulbs used since 1940 all have either two or three metal prongs on the back. To test a bulb connect one to a 12v battery positive and the other to the 12v battery negative. Since its a bulb there is no polarity it either works or not.

On the 4 bulb systems the high beams have three prongs. Low filament, high filament and ground.
In the crudest manner you can connect a 12v battery between two of them and watch one filament glow then switch to the other. It is hard to do it wrong.

Plugs do get dirty. They are almost impossible to get any brush type thing inside to clean. Blow them out is the best I have been able to do.

There are 2/3 slots in the plug (depending on the bulb) One is 12v power the other is a ground.  (or two 12v power in and the third is a ground) The ground wire is small and held to the body with a self tamping bolt that has been known to unscrew slightly and become corroded.

Tracing this ground wire (it is always close to the headlight assembly - one for each side) Unscrewing it then cleaning and polishing the 2-3 ground wires it is holding down and then retightening it is always a simple and worthwhile maintenance activity.

1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

Scot Minesinger

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Coupe Deville

Hello Scot,

Been off the site for awhile. You were all correct, it was the headlight. Thank you for all of the great suggestions.

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"