News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

For those who like Cadillac STATION WAGONS, feast your eyes, and foolish money..

Started by chrisntam, October 01, 2016, 06:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

Here is a nice '69 or '70 wagon on eBay for your viewing pleasure.  I assume this was done by an external company?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-DeVille-DeVille-Wagon-/381794240539?forcerrptr=true&hash=item58e4b5c81b:g:bq4AAOSwpLNX7saQ&item=381794240539

It's a '70 coming and a '69 going. 

::)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

D.Smith

I can guarantee you that car had a vinyl top when converted.   These were time consuming conversions you had to get sent out to be done.  They'd use a GM donor roof and rear gate.   A vinyl top would hide and rough workmanship.   Expensive to make often costing as much to convert as the base Sedan Deville itself. 

Too many red flags with this one though.   Wrong nose clip, a repaint with cracking bondo.  That rusty rear door hinge indicates they were lazy on the restoration.  Wrong steering wheel and how many faux alligators died to reupholster the seats and door panels?

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

70 front
My transitions lenses went dark when looking at the interior.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

TJ Hopland

Didn't that era GM wagon have the 'clam shell' tailgate that sort of pivoted down under the floor? 

I do agree that it looks like someone in the maybe not so distant past had to be more creative with the 'restoration' than the original builder was.    I'm kinda surprised its up that high already.  Like others have noticed its got some flaws that could be indicating deeper issues.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

chrisntam

Yep, as others have said, it's got a '70 front clip, chassis appears to be a '69 (trim tag & rear axle), dash bezel is a '70 and I don't recognize the steering wheel.  The seats are fugly.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

TJ Hopland

Steering wheel is I think 81+.  79 and 80 the horn button was same color as rest of the wheel, 81 was when it became black.  I think that style wheel lasted on the Brougham till maybe 94?

David Greenburg

Front clip appears to be a '70, but is has a power antenna.  Didn't 70's have a windshield antenna.  Also, Fleetwood crests on a DeVille.  That looks like a late '60's Pontiac tailgate.  Sunroof would be pretty unusual for a 70 DeVille.  Too many red flags.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

TJ Hopland

Hanging around 16K at the moment and reserve not met.    What do you suppose the reserve is?  I'm going to go with $26k which we will never know since the highest bid will be around $18 which is about $8 higher than I would have expected. 

So what is the theory behind starting something that the seller is obviously expecting to sell for at least $20k and has at least a $16k reserve on it at $1900?    Why not start it say at $10k?    I would think chances are decent that a player in the $10k ballpark would also have $20k or higher money.    A player in the $2k game is probably watching it on tv so $10k isn't even the same game. 

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: TJ Hopland on October 02, 2016, 09:41:10 AM
Steering wheel is I think 81+.  79 and 80 the horn button was same color as rest of the wheel, 81 was when it became black.  I think that style wheel lasted on the Brougham till maybe 94?

You're close: Horn pad is 1984+

Note raised padded areas on either spoke beginning 1984 model year.

This same area was plain (without raised pads) on the 81-83 steering wheel.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Gene Beaird

Weird conversion. Where are the shoulder harnesses?  IIRC, 70's had shoulder harnesses that bolted to the roof.

The tailgate reminds me of a 68, or 69 Pontiac Safari Wagon tailgate. And yeah, at least one repaint, with body work to the right quarter panel.

Interesting vehicle, though. My pups would LOVE to hang their heads out the windows going down the street.  ;D
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

TJ Hopland

17.2 still not met reserve with 3 days left so still some interest assuming its not a shill bidder.

I too think its kinda neat but not neat enough for the money they are apparently hoping for or even what others are apparently willing to pay.

When or what had the tailgates that sort of slid down under the floor?  Was that 70-76?   77 I think was when they came out with the combo flip down swing open gates that lasted till the end in 96.   

David Greenburg

David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special