News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 overheating going uphill

Started by Joshua, August 15, 2016, 05:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

55 cadi

This has been an informative post going in a couple different directions.

As far as avoiding the Cajon pass.....not happening, i know that pass and only way to go, cant go around, the one way thats around i believe takes you out a couple more hours and in desert like conditions, so that would be just as bad.
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

gary griffin

Bobby, It is O K to use distilled water in the summer. Water does not conduct electricity and rust is an electrolyte-chemical reaction. No electrical action no rust!. The reason we consider water a conductor is because the impurities make a conductor. After a while the residue in the water will turn distilled water into a conductor.  I made a small example for my sons science class. I sent a saucer and distilled water and salt with him to school and put the distilled water in the saucer and use simple meter to measure conductivity and find non, add a pinch of salt and resistance is gone.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Boiling point of water is 212 deg F.

Boiling point of straight EG is 397 deg.

50-50 mix is somewhere between but it is significantly higher than water.

At 212 deg, air bubbles will form in the water reducing its ability to transfer heat resulting in overheating when straight water is used. This is virtually guaranteed driving in summer in a big V-8 engine. Coolant's purpose is to raise the boiling temperature of the liquid in the system. However, straight coolant will not transfer heat as efficiently as water. This is why a 50-50 mixture of EG and water are necessary for the optimal combination of both heat transfer AND protection against boiling.

Additionally, the coolant provides protection from corrosion (rust) to the cooling system and block.

Running on straight water is ASKING for trouble.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

hearn

Actually, it sounds about normal for it to run 1/2 to 3/4 on the guage up a major hill in the West especially on a fresh engine.  It's anything past 3/4 that you need to worry about on a hill like that.  A few easy things:  Make sure it is a good radiator cap and maximum pressure for that radiator.  In Southern California 15% anti-freeze, the rest water (not a myth) with Water Wetter.  And finally, watch how you drive.  If you foot is into it too much then you are lugging it and it will heat up.  Use the downhills for the uphills and don't be afraid to shift down a gear.  Jim

Bobby B

I never once advised anyone to run straight water in their car. Just pointing out the chemical properties of water vs. ethylene glycol as far as heat transfer. I think we al agree that it's not such a good idea........
                                                                                    Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Jon S

In the '50's if you check the shop manuals Cadillac recommended a 50/50 mix in the Winter but also recommended water with water pump lube in the Summer. It wasn't until the '60's that that recommendation became 50/50 anti-freeze/water.  Interesting. The increased number of air conditioned vehicles contributed to this changed recommendation.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

hearn

Boy, there are a lot of ideas floating around (no pun intended) on this issue.  It is the pressure in the system regulated by the radiator cap that controls the what people are calling boiling.  The higher the pressure, the higher the temperature before boiling.  That's why low pressure systems with no catch and return system kept overheating around.  By the way, the Water Wetter lessens the surface tension thereby allowing more fluid to contact the internal surface of the radiator and dissipate heat more efficiently.

Bobby B

Quote from: hearn on August 19, 2016, 09:01:32 PM
  It is the pressure in the system regulated by the radiator cap that controls the what people are calling boiling.  The higher the pressure, the higher the temperature before boiling.  That's why low pressure systems with no catch and return system kept overheating around.  By the way, the Water Wetter lessens the surface tension thereby allowing more fluid to contact the internal surface of the radiator and dissipate heat more efficiently.

Jim,
Thank you for pointing this out..... ;)
                                          Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

V63

Bobby, Thank you for your adding the Redline information!

THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDATION to run with water only! There are folks that believe adding pure glycol "coolant" (as marketed) is somehow better than mixing it with water (as recommended). The higher percentages of glycol (freeze protection) dramatically lowers the solutions cooling properties!

Here's a little more for inquiring minds!  See chart attached below:

notice what a VERY  small percentage (5%?) glycol adds to the boiling temp...at 16 pounds WATER ONLY  boils at 252 degrees.

My opinion:  calling glycol antifreeze 'coolant' is misleading and has its roots in the marketing department!

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Agreed - "coolant" is misleading in this application.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Rod Dahlgren #19496

temp guns sure are handy these days. with the gas we use now making engines run hotter and a host of other stuff, stuck heat riser, collapsed hose, stuck thermostat, ignition problems, plugged radiator or the mouse nest built inside your muffler--  there are many things that can happen.
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?

wbdeford

Quote from: Jon S on August 19, 2016, 08:36:17 PM
In the '50's if you check the shop manuals Cadillac recommended a 50/50 mix in the Winter but also recommended water with water pump lube in the Summer. It wasn't until the '60's that that recommendation became 50/50 anti-freeze/water.  Interesting. The increased number of air conditioned vehicles contributed to this changed recommendation.

One major factor was cost.  In time past--including the late 50s--ethylene glycol was far more expensive than alcohol.  (Today, it is the reverse.) 

In my '58, I use distilled water + water pump lube/anti rust in the summer, and the same plus denatured alcohol in the winter.  (Methanol can also be used, but requires a cooler thermostat, which I don't want to use.)  This requires more frequent maintenance--flush and fill twice per year.  My needle never goes above the 1/4 mark on the temp gauge.  One big advantage is I can just drain it and not have to worry about disposal, or animals drinking poison. 
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville