News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 Eldorado air / shock questions

Started by johnnyrock70, August 23, 2016, 06:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyrock70

Ok, I'm a newbie. Excuse my ignorance. can I completely disregard the whole air pump thing on my '70 Eldorado and just replace my old shocks and no longer worry about using the air to raise the car?
If so...can somebody give me a recommendation for a brand of shocks?
PS - the rear of the car raises when I put air into the valve at the rear bumper, but lowers back down after several days.

Scot Minesinger

This is a subject of considerable discussion and if you search you will find many opinions.

I'm with you, bought a set of shocks specifically designed for the application on Rock Auto that were not air shocks and it was fine.  You can adjust front height of car via torsion bar adjustments if the car does not sit level (did not have to do this).

Everyone else is against me though as you will read in response thereafter, but your question is answered by someone who did as you thought and it worked great.  I really cannot stand the idea of manually filling the shocks (even if they held air for a year) to raise car and manually letting air out to lower, this makes driving a hassle, an extra step.  Put six people in the car, add air, the exit, let air out - really????  The shocks from Rockauto worked very well on the 72 Eldorado.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

If there is a valve near the bumper its already got aftermarket air shocks on it.   Originally there was a vacuum powered air compressor under the hood, I think it hung off one of those cross braces.   

I think Gabriel and Monroe are the only ones that may still make them, at least they do for the 71-78 and 79-85.  Not sure if either of those is what fits the 70 which I believe had a different rear suspension that included horizontal shocks.    The 71+ cars tend to ride really low without help from air shocks because air shocks were standard so the springs were a little softer not to mention 40+ years of age now. 

All my cars are manual fill.   I have not had a problem finding a happy spot and they seem to hold fine.   Years ago I collected electric compressors with the idea of getting a push button or maybe making the auto system work again but it just has not been a big enough problem to get moved up the to do list. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Glen

The factory rear springs on the 70 Eldo are not strong enough to keep the rear end to the proper ride height.  Correct ride height is important to proper handling.   
If your car keeps the air in the shocks for several days, use some soapy water to find the leaks and seal them up. 
Does your car have the compressor under the hood?   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Marcel75

Quote from: TJ Hopland on August 23, 2016, 10:35:16 PM
If there is a valve near the bumper its already got aftermarket air shocks on it.   Originally there was a vacuum powered air compressor under the hood, I think it hung off one of those cross braces.   

I think Gabriel and Monroe are the only ones that may still make them, at least they do for the 71-78 and 79-85.  Not sure if either of those is what fits the 70 which I believe had a different rear suspension that included horizontal shocks.    The 71+ cars tend to ride really low without help from air shocks because air shocks were standard so the springs were a little softer not to mention 40+ years of age now. 

All my cars are manual fill...

Hi all,

Confirm Gabriel marketed air shocks fitted for 1970 Eldo (need of 2 horizontal and 2 vertical). My Eldo 70 was so equipped for the first time only four years after first owner acquired it new, the compressor is still located under the hood. Guess the owner got problems with original equipment. I put ca. 5 bars (72 psi) at the beginning of the season (although Gabriel stipulates on the original notice that it can be as low as 25 psi) and check twice a year the pressure. As to the car attitude, I use my fingers put flat and pass them right under the rear fender: if ok, fingers hit the tyre ca. 1/2 inch under top (no fender skirt on 1970 Eldo)

Marcel