News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Restoration battery or battery topper

Started by LtDan560, August 27, 2016, 05:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LtDan560

I am trying to decide on whether to get a restoration battery for $350 which includes shipping or get a slightly smaller battery and buy a battery topper for about $175. I have been researching a lot and I can't find a larger topper for my 67 Eldorado which has a battery that is 12 long, 6 7/8 wide and 9 high.  The replacement battery is a R71S.
I would have to buy a smaller battery  to fit the R59 topper that is 10 1/4 long, 6 3/4 wide and 9 high.
I hate spending money on something that is going to wear out but I don't want to be penalized by judges for an improper battery. I wonder if they would notice that the topper battery is 1 3/4 inches less in length. Any advice or thoughts?

jagbuxx #12944

I have used restoration batteries for my '61 since 1999. The newest generations are dry cell agm technology. I have just installed my 4th so they have been averaging about 4-5 years with minimal use. If the rest of your car looks correct, this is just one more piece that will complete the presentation
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

Bill Ingler #7799

I have a Delco Restoration Battery in my 71 Olds 442 convert. It is 3 years old and I have had no problems. I keep a low amp battery tender on the battery while parked in the garage. If you do buy, read and read again the instructions that come with the battery on charging this type battery. I think if I were you and was going to have my car judged, then use the correct looking battery. A good judge who knows your model car probably would spot the difference in the battery.   Bill

LtDan560

Thanks everyone for your advice. I am leaning toward a resto battery

Kevin Bielinski #13320

I would get the topper because Restoration Battery gave in real quick for both my friend and I. We both called up and got the run around.
CLC Western Regions Vice President
1970 Coupe Deville
1973 Miller Meteor 3 Way
1976 Series 75 Sedan
1988 Flower Car
1971 Lincoln Mark III
1984 Lincoln Town Car
1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
2001 Lincoln Krystal Hearse

Past Vehicles
1971 Chevy Impala
1973 Chevy Monte Carlo
1973 Mercury Capri
1986 Lincoln Town Car
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis
1983 Buick LeSabre Limited

LtDan560

Hi Kevin, where you able to get the proper size (12 inches long) or did you have to get the R59 topper that is 10 1/4 inches long?

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

For what it's worth, I'm presently replacing the battery in my 1941 6267. I compared both Restoration Battery (RB), (which was in place when I bought the car in 2010) and Antique Auto Battery (AAB). Both seemed virtually the same in pricing and construction (Optima in a repro case) but they differed in whether the raised lettering on the case was painted or not. There is a thread in this forum about that.

One small difference was that the AAB folks were very forthcoming in an investigation discusssion prior to ordering, and, when I went to order an RB product, much faster. RB was 3-4 weeks out of shipping and AAB was 3-4 days. I ended up going with AAB.

Both will do date coding also. RB noted they would do a coding to the specific Delco plant near the assembly plant of your car. In my case (Clark Avenue only) not an issue but perhaps in yours.

Hope this is helpful.
Scott
1941 Cadillac 6267X Convertible Coupe
2014 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe