News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Questions on porcelain flat head exhaust manifolds

Started by Bob Hoffmann CLC#96, September 18, 2016, 04:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
I'd prefer comments from those with first hand experience.
What is the initial quality & longevity of redone manifolds?
Do the judges at major shows, GN, etc. expect perfect jewel like finish?
Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Bill Ingler #7799

Bob: When you talk initial quality, here is a 41 manifold set as I received from the company that did the porcelain on these manifolds as well as the set on my 47. Both sets that I gave them were original with some rust but no pitting. What I got back both times were manifolds that were very well done with a uniform and smooth porcelain. Now the next picture is the 47 during restoration about 2006 showing the manifolds before any major time on the engine. The next 2 pictures show the 47 manifolds today with probably 3,000 miles on the car since 2007. Manifolds look as good today as when they went on the engine in 2006.

I am a master judge in CCCA and a judge at the Arizona Concourse. Do I expect a perfect finish on the manifolds and the answer is no. Minor cracks in the porcelain carry no deduction but pitting, rust or major cracking will carry a point deduction.  Bill

Whit Otis, 1188

I had my exhaust manifolds for Sloan car re done.  When I dropped them off at the vendor, I got a tour of the plant.  They do a lot of exhaust manifold rework. The owner of the plant told me that when the Feds forced them to drop lead out of the process, no guarantees as to cracking and chipping when you drive the car.  A friend of mine who has been involved in the restoration of many high dollar cars said if you want your manifolds perfect, don't drive the car after they have been redone.  Even short, "vanity tours" may result in cracking and chipping.  FWIW  BTW, if you are having an old washing machine cabinet redone, no problem as no heat.
Whit
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger