News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

07 DTS Speed Limited at 111 mph?

Started by 76eldo, October 21, 2016, 08:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76eldo

I got on a highway this morning with not a car in sight and as Flip Wilson used to say "The Devil made me do it".

So I found out that the DTS has an electronic speed limiter set at 111 mph.
Says right on the dash display "Speed limited at 111 mph".

I guess that's fast enough for what my family refers to as my old man's car.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

The first time I drove a speed-limited car was an un-nerving experience as at 180 Kph, rounding a corner, the engine started to cough and miss, but as soon as I decreased speed, it came back to normal.

Complaining to the dealership the next day, they couldn't explain the problem I encounted, but got back to me later to say that the Factory had advised that the 6 cylinder cars were electronically limited to 180 Kph, but not the V8's.

It was further explained that the reason for the limiting was because of problems with the transmission extension housings being susceptible to cracking at speeds over 180 Kph.

When other people complained to me that they encountered the cutting out, I questioned them, noting their driving to get beyond 180 Kph.   The first couple wondered how I knew they were driving well over the speed limit.   It was nice to be able to give them answer without going deeper into it.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Scot Minesinger

The fastest I had my 1995 RWD Fleetwood was 106mph and seemed like it had way more left, but never thought about a governor.  It seemed to attain this speed just effortlessly.  Probably all these 400 hp plus cars are going to have to be limited in top speed.

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

STS05lg

Brian, hope you keep the 1960 convertible under a 100mph on your way down to the Fall Show at Capital Cadillac on Sunday, she might take flight.  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) and besides that, your EZPass might not work at that speed though the automated toll readers.  :) :) :) :)
See you there...

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

We have had 3 minivans and I got all of them up over a hundo..... just because I wanted to say i did it in a minivan!
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Carl Fielding

FCO on my '95 F'wood Bro' is abrupt @ 107. 2002 STS abrupt @ 129. 2007 M-B E550 w/almost 400hp , smooth FCO @ 134. 1998 V12 SL600 , also almost 400hp , smooth @ 157. You need very good tires and eyesight at this speed. Also lots of good , uninhabited straight road. No birds or animals.

Dan LeBlanc

Brian. It's the same on my 2004. When you hit the governor, it says "top speed fuel cutoff."  At least the made it sound more elegant in 2007.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Scot Minesinger

So I was within 1.0 mph of fuel cut off (FCO) set at 107 mph in my 1995 Cadillac RWD Fleetwood - Wow!, did not even realize.  It seemed at 106 mph like it would do 130 mph easy, but guess not.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

76eldo

It had a lot more to go...

I was planning to back off at 120

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Barry M Wheeler #2189

One time, back in the dark ages (BG  Before Gay) I was going with a young lady who was very very tiny. I am only 5'/7" and I picked her up once and carried her down a country road about a quarter of a mile.

Anyway, she lived some thirty miles from me in the next town north of Indy and the road I used was a brand-new two-lane concrete one. I was driving my 1941 Cadillac 6127 coupe and a '55 Ford convt (back when it was new) passed me with its brights on. This was very late at night and the road deserted.

That irritated me and I gave chase. I floored the car and before common sense took over and I slowed down, I saw that I was gaining on the Ford. And I believe they were trying... I believe I was doing about 95 when I slowed down.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

cadman56

Mr. Fielding has it right on eyesight.  I remember the days when I used to run my 56 Coupe deVille over 100 mph just to say it would do it.  Very solid ride at that speed.  I loved kicking the passing gear on my 91 Brougham dElegance and running it to 100 mph with a 305 V8.  That car will go.
Enjoy the speed.  I will be selling all my cars in the very near future due to loss of eyesight.  Look for the ads in the SS.
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

Carl Fielding

Dear fellow CLC member Larry,
        Deepest sympathy and empathy for the predicament you are in. I also spend time remembering "the days". 100 mph was the point we would back off over 50 years ago. Foolishly pushing flathead Cads to within kissing distance of triple digits. I've seen it on the speedo (don't know how accurate) , of a friends light little '39 4 door model 61. I learned to shift a manual transmission in that car. Enjoyed it so much that I bought myself a '39 60S for $100. Probably 1960. Dumb young kids. Lucky we never hurt anyone. Those cars did handle fairly well though , and had relatively good brakes. Still too fast. Tires ? Whew !!!! Dumb kids doing stupid things , alright. With extraordinary eyesight and concentration.
        Larry , I hope you are able to stay occupied with other interests. I hope you are comfortable , and have friends and family to share and appreciate what pleasures life still holds for you. My eyesight has recently and suddenly deteriorated, very frightening. But fortunately it is corrected with glasses to almost 20/20 right , and 20/15 left , so this old road runner can still drive. Although it is impossible to picture what someone you don't know is going through , I hope my words and best wishes are of some comfort to you.  -  Carl